River Thame At Dorchester/river Cherwell

david t

Hello,

2 questions, does anyone know which angling club owns the rights to the river thame (THAME, not thames) at Dorchester, just south of Oxford, or just up river towards Wheatley?

Also, is the river cherwell that Banbury angling association own the rights to a good stretch, as far as chub/perch/roach go?

Any help that is given will be greatly received,

Thanks, david.

Too far up river for me. However ring the EA at their Reading HQ tomorrow and ask for their guide to Fishing the Thames Valley (rivers and stillwaters). It should detail which clubs are responsible for each stretch of the Thames and tributaries with contact details. Can't guarantee that it'll answer all of your questions but it might ...and its an interesting and useful free read anyway (cant find my copy :angry: )

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Thanks for that, good idea, just had a look at the thames region booklet on angling clubs in the region on the EA website. it is good, but i notice it is missing a few clubs i know of, so it must be missing a few clubs i dont know of as well. i find it quite difficult to find out which clubs own which waters, without actually going to the water itself, which isnt always practical.

Anyone else know anything about the river thame at dorchester?

Thanks, dave.

It's some years since I fished the Banbury AA stretches of the Cherwell, but there are good for specimen chub and good roach. One of the good fisheries, Hookey Pool, has now been lost. I walked up to it last year and there were (still) some excellent chub just before the weir before the pool.

All stretches of the cherwell have a good head of chub and regards the roach whenever i fish with bread for chub they always steal my bait. As far bigger fish go try bletchington long meadow or clifton/anyho. Long meadow always used to be a good mixed fishery but i haven't fished there for 3 seasons and for roach/perch probably 6or7 years. Hope this is helpful.

Edited by cg74

Thanks for that, ive joined a club that runs the thame above dorchester.

i think i will maybe join either banbury aa or kidlington for the cherwell next season.

by the way is the cherwell a river that performs best in the winter, like the thame?

dave.

It does perform well in the winter although the barbel fishing can be very good.If you join Kidlington then i could give you some pointers to get you going haven't fished those stretches for a few years now but the river there was my stomping ground from when I was about 15 until a few years ago.