Vitalin

r.doherty

Hi

I heard vitalin was great to use as a groundbait. Do you use it straight from the bag or do you have to prepare it in some way?? Also, I was thinking that if you put it through a coffee grinder to make a powder, could you then go on to make a paste?? Any help appreciated

Rach

:PB)

Good as a groundbait for big carp.Can be used as a method mix to.Best left to soak up water overnight.

Ive only used it for carp but I know others who like it for bream too.

Vitalin make several dry dog foods but the one normally used is the Vitalin Origonal.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Dear Rach,

I'm a Vitalin groupie, I just love the stuff. Cheap as chips at below a tenner for 15kilos.

Heres what I do with mine. Other anglers that wish to carry on catching boogle all look away.

Take your 15 kilo bag of Vitalin Original and put the whole lot through a decent food blender. This takes around thirty minutes and renders the stuff down to smaller pieces of corn, wheat etc to a fine dust.

OK so far Rach?

Now add to the 15 kilos six kilos of white fish meal. I buy "Provomi 66" that I buy by the 25 kilo bag from any decent agricultural feed supplier.

Now add 4 kilos of crushed hemp seed. Mix the whole lot up dry in an empty dustbin.

The resulting mix is one that doesn't require pre-soaking and can be used on its own either in ground bait balls or method type fishing.

Heres another tip Rach.

Go to B&Q or similar and look in the plumbing isle. Buy a length of plastic 32ml waste pipe and a length of plastic 40ml waste pipe. Colours are limited in either white, or black. Of course if one knows a plumber these can be obtained for free. Unless of course said plumber is a miserable git.

Anyway. With your two lengths of pipe cut the larger bore pipe at 40ml to a length of say fifteen inches. The smaller bore pipe at 32ml the same length. Now take the smaller bore pipe and block one end. You will find the top of a plastic film case fits in the end perfectly and only requires super gluing in place. So, you have a smaller bore tube with one end blocked off, and the larger bore tube with each end fully open.

Now, slide the smaller tube inside the larger one and you have a snug fitting piston. (Getting like how to do a Tommy Cooper prop thingy)

Now for the good bit Rach.

Mix your Vitalin ground bait until it has enough moisture in it so it can be needed into balls without falling apart. Much the same texture as ordinary ground bait. BUT dear Rach, you won’t be rolling your bait into balls; your Blue Peter bait pump is going to do the work for you!!

Simply stand the larger pipe on one end, preferably in the mixing bowl/bucket etc, and trickle in your mixed ground bait. When full, use the smaller pipe with its blocked end to ram down the mixture inside the larger pipe. You will notice that more mix can now be applied inside the larger pipe. Ram down again until full. Now take the small pipe again with its blocked end and begin to push the compressed bait out of the larger pipe. I grasp the pipe in both hands and use pull it into my stomach. As the bait comes out cylindrical, I break it off at around three inches long until all the bait is pumped out the tube and I have perfectly formed sausages. Repeat this process until you have your required bait. For my barbel fishing I normally fill up two buckets of ready made bait at home before I go fishing so it’s very quick and easy to bait up a swim when I arrive. Now then Rach, you will notice just how far said bait goes once propelled with a decent catty. I use both catty and underarm lob for closer in work.

You can also bulk make this ground bait and freeze which is a popular method for me because I fish a tremendous amount.

Other ingredients can be added to the mix at the mixing stage like hemp, casters etc. This method totally does away with the need for bait droppers if good rations of hemp are added to the mix.

So that’s about it Rach. My method for using Vitalin and a simple recipe that’s caught oodles of double figure barbel.

Blankers of course will not use this method.

Good fishing Rach.

Regards,

Lee.

I used to give it to my lurchers belive it or not.

It's no good for the bullies though they can't body up on it.

I reckon it probably is better for the fish!!

Tigger.

Guest Brumagem Phil

tb, I fish an awful lot, but with a limited income I tend to do things on a budget myself. For carp groundbait i've always used simply a couple of "value" loaves from tesco or sainsburys which I stuff though the blender, and then add 3 tins of sweetcorn...........I buy a sack of hemp per season too and if its a specimen water I'll add a couple of pints in as well.

I've copied your posting and mailed it to myself and will give it a try next season.......thanks.

Edited by Brumagem Phil

Vitalin, aaaah, don't you just love it?

I don't grind it, but take about 2 Kilo, mix in cooked hemp and Halibut pellet (about 1/2 kilo of each). then let it soak for an hour, ball it up and fire all of it out with a Whopper dropper catapult. I will then fish that spot with at least one rod, for 24 hrs without putting any more out.

Last weekend, all the "feature" swims were taken on a lake I fished. I "created" a feeding feature using Vitalin, then caught three decent carp off it. I was fishing totally the wrong side of the lake (as far as wind goes, as were a few others who fired out beds of boiles), but I was the only one who caught on our side.

It work just as well for Barbel and Chub, although I reckon Lee's approach sounds a blinder!

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Lee,

Just wondered what your think was on putting the vitalin thro' a food processor for barbel.? I find it works pretty well just soaked whole

Cheers

Jon

Dear Rach,

I'm a Vitalin groupie, I just love the stuff. Cheap as chips at below a tenner for 15kilos.

Heres what I do with mine. Other anglers that wish to carry on catching boogle all look away.

Take your 15 kilo bag of Vitalin Original and put the whole lot through a decent food blender. This takes around thirty minutes and renders the stuff down to smaller pieces of corn, wheat etc to a fine dust.

OK so far Rach?

Now add to the 15 kilos six kilos of white fish meal. I buy "Provomi 66" that I buy by the 25 kilo bag from any decent agricultural feed supplier.

Now add 4 kilos of crushed hemp seed. Mix the whole lot up dry in an empty dustbin.

The resulting mix is one that doesn't require pre-soaking and can be used on its own either in ground bait balls or method type fishing.

Heres another tip Rach.

Go to B&Q or similar and look in the plumbing isle. Buy a length of plastic 32ml waste pipe and a length of plastic 40ml waste pipe. Colours are limited in either white, or black. Of course if one knows a plumber these can be obtained for free. Unless of course said plumber is a miserable git.

Anyway. With your two lengths of pipe cut the larger bore pipe at 40ml to a length of say fifteen inches. The smaller bore pipe at 32ml the same length. Now take the smaller bore pipe and block one end. You will find the top of a plastic film case fits in the end perfectly and only requires super gluing in place. So, you have a smaller bore tube with one end blocked off, and the larger bore tube with each end fully open.

Now, slide the smaller tube inside the larger one and you have a snug fitting piston. (Getting like how to do a Tommy Cooper prop thingy)

Now for the good bit Rach.

Mix your Vitalin ground bait until it has enough moisture in it so it can be needed into balls without falling apart. Much the same texture as ordinary ground bait. BUT dear Rach, you won’t be rolling your bait into balls; your Blue Peter bait pump is going to do the work for you!!

Simply stand the larger pipe on one end, preferably in the mixing bowl/bucket etc, and trickle in your mixed ground bait. When full, use the smaller pipe with its blocked end to ram down the mixture inside the larger pipe. You will notice that more mix can now be applied inside the larger pipe. Ram down again until full. Now take the small pipe again with its blocked end and begin to push the compressed bait out of the larger pipe. I grasp the pipe in both hands and use pull it into my stomach. As the bait comes out cylindrical, I break it off at around three inches long until all the bait is pumped out the tube and I have perfectly formed sausages. Repeat this process until you have your required bait. For my barbel fishing I normally fill up two buckets of ready made bait at home before I go fishing so it’s very quick and easy to bait up a swim when I arrive. Now then Rach, you will notice just how far said bait goes once propelled with a decent catty. I use both catty and underarm lob for closer in work.

You can also bulk make this ground bait and freeze which is a popular method for me because I fish a tremendous amount.

Other ingredients can be added to the mix at the mixing stage like hemp, casters etc. This method totally does away with the need for bait droppers if good rations of hemp are added to the mix.

So that’s about it Rach. My method for using Vitalin and a simple recipe that’s caught oodles of double figure barbel.

Blankers of course will not use this method.

Good fishing Rach.

Regards,

Lee.

{2008 Editor's Note: to view Vitalin for sale, please click here}