Fantastic Weather Preditions!

MainBassMan

here Damo.. yer supposed to select the location.. not look at the index page :P

just checked Windguru .. almost bang on . wind withing a couple of MPH and the crrect direction

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

just checked Windguru .. almost bang on . wind withing a couple of MPH and the crrect direction

Just checked for East Anglia, GURU is right. Changed it mind for tomorow a little, showing the wind to be a tad stronger, still within limits for the anticipated mark though.

We have become used to poor weather reports and accept them. The BBC 5 day internet report is usualy way off, seem to get the right weather, but often 24 hours out on timing :blink:

'Weather on line' is not as reliable as it used to either.

Thanks for the WindGURU site, looks like I will be using it regularly :)

We have become used to poor weather reports and accept them. The BBC 5 day internet report is usualy way off, seem to get the right weather, but often 24 hours out on timing :blink:

You will normally find the further North you go from London the more inaccurate the forecast from the BBC / MET office and when you get up here you are better just looking out the window :(

'Weather on line' is not as reliable as it used to either.
Yup they have all went in for these fancy graphics, instead of improving their forecasting skills.

Thanks for the WindGURU site, looks like I will be using it regularly :)

It certainly seems to be the most accurate site out of them all

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Guest NickInTheNorth

I've been using windguru for several years, and even when I lived on the Isle of Muck, which obviously does not rate much detail on the BBC etc sites :D

I found windguru to be better than 85% accurate in terms of wind strength and direction for forecasts upto 48 hours. (Within 24 hours it was over 95% accurate!) It is pretty reliable for planning up to about 5 days ahead, longer than that it obviously changes based on updated data. I certainly would say that it is the best of the simple forecast sites.

I also like to keep an eye on the charts available at ECMWF this gives a good overview of what is heading our way in the medium term (3 to 7 days ahead).

The best feature of windguru is I think it's custom spot feature, which allows you to define where you want a forecast for, and you can also enter data to modify wave height, direction etc based on local features.

People who complain about weather forcasts being inaccurate, can't be very old, or is it just the BSE (Blame Somebody Else) institutionalised society that they have been brought up in.

Can't anybody remember the BBC television forcasts with Phillip McDonald in the 50's?

I'm going fishing!

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

CJS2, Felixstowe has a nice moon at the moment not a breath of wind.

I predict a perfect day for tomorrow, lucky you, have a nice day.

Look forward to the pics, even if they are of steaming mugs of tea and hot pies.

:)

1509tarpon_75_.gif

People who complain about weather forcasts being inaccurate, can't be very old, or is it just the BSE (Blame Somebody Else) institutionalised society that they have been brought up in.

Can't anybody remember the BBC television forcasts with Phillip McDonald in the 50's?

I'm going fishing!

OK Jim, I'm 59 next B'day, and yes I can remember the old man' ranting that "they could'nt tip sand from a bucket!" The 86 or was it 87 :unsure: foul up over the storm, Michel Fish has never lived that one down.

The interesting thing for me is that I have accepted the poor forcasts, its 'global warming' you know!!!! late eighties early ninties seemed to be the hay-day of good weather. In those days I towed a dinghy 2.5 hours to Felixstowe. Rarly was the trip called off, we often used to stay B&B Saturday night. Would not want to trust the forcast or the weather to book B&B in advance these days.

A treat was, the week between Xmas and NY, always relly on a decent settled few days, fished a couple of the days in the week, took Mrs CJS to the sales (brownie points) and always had a blinder on NY day! (fish not a headach!) Launch at 8am, out to the South Shipwash bouy (couple of miles beyound the Towers) Four hour session saw at least 20 fish around 8lbs often + a couple of doubles. One red letter session was 30!!! 30!!! double figure cod! The strange thing, we always used them, neaver had to much cod in the freezer.

We did this for a number of years, these days, cant rely on the settled weather or the 8lb fish. Discussing it with me mate to day B) He's up for a Boxing day trip, (the present Mrs CJS sujested it) a couple of days in the week and a NY day, will the weather play ball ? :rolleyes: I will consult the 'GURU' when the time comes.

Any one else got any similar plans??? :huh:

:ph34r:

well I can vouch for windguru, again been using it for a couple of years like nick... wave height is surely the best feature of it! I mean its one thing looking at wind but this doesnt always translate into how rough the sea is going to be. It is almost always right and has helped me a lot. Designed for surfers so the sea state is even more important for them than it is for us.