Clax And Pike

GlennB

just composed a vast reply only to find I couldn't post it when the topic got closed :) Here goes -

Sorry Clax, these things are very very rare here on A.N. (that troll twerp I mean)

To return to your very reasonable questions --

Check out the advice given in the previous posts, and read *all* those links very carefully. There's a mine of invaluable information in there. Think twice before live or legered dead-baiting without experienced help. Those forms of piking tend to involve snap-tackle and being *very* aware of any kind of bite indication. Easy to get wrong and end up in a panic.

Whistle is right about lure fishing tending to avoid the deep-hooking prob. However a multi-treble lure in a pikes mouth is no doddle to remove. And if your lure has multiple trebles and you have a standard match or carp net then any 'loose' treble can create horrific tangles in the net which can dramatically slow down unhooking. Add good wire-cutters to your kit and snip off the hook points if this happens. You just lost a hook but thats's easily replaced. And use barbless or well crushed barbs for now. Try it at home! :) Get a barbed treble in a pair of pliers, wiggle it well into the mesh of your (wet) standard landing net - push and shove *hard* for a good while and check out the mess it's in. Then imagine that the *other* treble could have a pike attached to it...

In my brief piking experience I've managed to avoid any disaster by being totally paranoid. Strike at the *slightest* indication. Have the right unhooking gear, net, mat etc etc. Ignore all that old-fashioned poop about letting the pike run with the bait ....

For what it's worth I'd say that it might be god to start with single-hook soft bodied lures, just to get the hang of it and lose that 'fear' of catching a pike. Maybe float a small deadbait with a big single circle hook.

Caught my first pike 6 years ago, at the age of 49. Nearly sh#t myself, and really did wish there was someone there who knew what they were doing ;) But there's nothing like it.

good luck !

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

thank for the advice glennB. I am based in suffolk at the moment, i have been river fishing hundreds of times, ive neva purposely caught a pike though. I recently caught a pike on a red maggot. it was quite small but gave a good fight. this is what's gave me the inscentive to go predator fishing

The Clax Will Always Crack

Caught my first pike 6 years ago, at the age of 49. Nearly sh#t myself, and really did wish there was someone there who knew what they were doing ;) But there's nothing like it.

good luck !

Just found this Glenn, (nothing much else to do) :( I cannot believe you are 55!!! Tell me then who is that young imposter proudly showing off that near record minnow from your Lacock trip? :unsure:

good luck !

Just found this Glenn, (nothing much else to do) :( I cannot believe you are 55!!! Tell me then who is that young imposter proudly showing off that near record minnow from your Lacock trip? :unsure:

Hmmm - I recall one of the young Steve Walker at Lacock with a nice perch. ;)

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

while on the subject of minnows.... If there a good method of catching minnow because i am planning on targeting some big perch which i have seen.

Just fish next to me Clax I seem to attract them by the hundred if Timsbury is anything to go by>

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.