Basic Tackle For Newbie?

prokaryote

Hi, I've been solo sit-on kayaking for a couple of years and I've just ordered an OK malibu 2 xl so I can take one or more of my kids out paddling. They all like the idea of catching some fish for tea, but I've only ever fished in fresh water. Can anyone recommend a simple combination of tactics tackle and bait that's likely to catch us some mackerel as we paddle around the North Devon Coast? If there's a FAQ covering this sort of thing please excuse me and give me a pointer to it. I don't know where else to get this sort of info as most sea angling resources would assume you are based either on the shore or a larger boat.

Many thanks,

Gary

Hi Mate

Where in N Devon are you, I'm in Holsworthy, pm me you phone No, I have quite a lot of spare gear you may want to have a look at, for mackerel you don't need anything special basic rod,reel feathers and a couple of spinners.

Regards

Flynny

If your kids are quite young, only use 2 or 3 feathers on the line (just snip the others off), there is less chance of them hooking themselves and 3 mackeral at a time is more than enough for the nippers to contend with. Get them proper life jackets not a PFD, a proper life jacket is designed to them over so their face is clear of the water if they fall in, make sure it fits properly with a strap that goes between the legs so that the jacket cannot slip off over the head.

I take my kids out during the summer, they use small Shakespeare rods, designed for children their about 2ft long and ideal.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Thanks for your helpful replies guys, a very pleasant welcome to this group! Regarding life jackets for the kids, great advice and I couldn't agree more: I've got three on order (proper life jackets, not buoyancy aids). I'll let you know how we get on in the spring.

Gary

little off subject (dont wont to hijack you mate) like you im planning on a yak in the spring! ive a pair of 11 ft light bass rods!

these gana be a bit lanky ? should i invest in a pair of rods just for yaking!?

Geffaz I'd say the 11foot rods will be a bit too long - but if it gets you out fishing....

They'll reach easily around the bow of a kayak if a fish or snag takes you that way however its harder to sort out any tangles which may arise near the rod tip. I've found that when using longer rods the line wraps around the tip more when paddling along with the line clipped down to an eyelet on the way out/back from a mark. I've used a 10foot spinning a rod a number of times on my yak and that was too long for me - lost fishing time untangling the line.

I currently fish with rods which are only 6 ft 5" long (fine for the Caper but perhaps a little short for some of the longer yaks). I used 7ft 8" rods for a while and they seemed ideal - this length also helped me gain a reasonable cast away from the kayak if needed.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

To help with the problem of tangling, I have started using Gemini clips for the long paddle to the mark, the I simply clip the rig on at the mark, I have a series of rigs wound onto short pieces of swimming noodle all marked with hook size and leader weight, keep them in a sandwich box, leads are clipped on at the same time, when paddling to the next mark leave the rigs in the water allowing them to trail behind, not trolling unless you want to or simply unclip. Has saved me a lot of time on the water.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com