Parliament Today 18/11/05

GowerRay

Questions this morning to Ben Bradshaw:

John Randall (Uxbridge, Con) Link to this | Hansard source

If she will make a statement on fish stocks in the North sea.

Ben Bradshaw (Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Local Environment, Marine and Animal Welfare), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) Link to this | Hansard source

Recent advice paints a rather bleak picture of the state of most key commercial stocks in the North sea, particularly cod, but some stocks, notably monkfish and prawns, are doing well.

John Randall (Uxbridge, Con) Link to this | Hansard source

I thank the Minister for his reply. Given the current state of the sand eel fishery, which has led the European Commission to close it for the rest of this year, will the Government support advice from the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea to maintain its closure next year?

Ben Bradshaw (Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Local Environment, Marine and Animal Welfare), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) Link to this | Hansard source

Yes, we certainly will.

Owen Paterson (North Shropshire, Con) Link to this | Hansard source

In the past couple of years, I have visited the successful, sustainable fisheries of Norway, the Faroes and New England. Indeed, America has seen 20 species come off the over-fished list, because its fish management system works with nature. In Exeter, I gave the Minister our green paper, published in January, that contains a list of suggested measures that have been taken from sustainable fisheries, including a ban on industrial fishing. Our clearly stated policy is to return to national control of our marine environment. The Minister disagrees, but he has jurisdiction up to six miles from the coast. Will he not bring those measures into force up to that six miles?

No, and I am glad that the hon. Gentleman has been off on his travels again.

Another question:

John MacDougall (Glenrothes, Lab) Hansard source

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs what steps she is taking to protect fish stocks in UK waters; and if she will make a statement.

Ben Bradshaw (Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Local Environment, Marine and Animal Welfare), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) Hansard source

We are working to ensure depleted stocks are not over-exploited, while maximising catching opportunities for our fishing industry where this is justified.