Usan/rumness Today

arthurcodsbody

Again up nice and early to get up to Usan an hour before for LW which was 0850 ended up there a bit late as it took 15 mins to scrape the ice of the cars, it was actually that cold last night that the bait never defrosted in the garage, it took a 20 minute drive with the heaters on full to accomplish that feat!

Made my way down to the black rock the sea was flat calm but dirty, things were looking up! Spent about

1 & 1/2 hours on the black rock tacking no bites but was continually pestered by crabs, the rigs I got back would be stripped clean in about 10-15 mins. admitedly I only got 2 whole rigs back. A couple with no hook lenghts, and a cople of total losses but hey this is cod fishing.

One thing I will say is that if you take a flask of coffee with you on these cold days, make sure you give it a thorough wash out first otherwise your coffee WILL taste of fairy liquid.

Anyway decided to head off down to rumness thinking there would give me a better chance. When I got there, again the sea was thick dirty brown with a bit of a swell coming in with the tide. 'perfect I thought'. Set up at a spot I had never fished before but had often fancied, anyway 40mins and 3 whole rigs later I moved to a more favoured mark that I usually fish.

Knowing that I wasnt going to get long on it due the tide and swell I made a dash to the very tip of the rumness rocks, by this stage the swell had really kicked up and the Anyfish Anywhere smock got its first good testing, and it did very well indeed.

The first bait of a whole squid, 1 lug worm and a mussle had been at the bottom for about 10mins before the first good bite of the day. As I picked the rod up everything went slack and as I reeled down it just kept getting slacker and slacker, suddenly a felt a faint pull and struck into it, and was very pleased when this very healthy pollock arrived at my feat. The fish was cleanly hooked in the scissors of the mouth and so after a quick photocall was returned unscathed.

post-5686-1132329570_thumb.jpg

A few more casts in this postion never revealed any more fish and the tide was quickly starting to cover the rocks behind me so I made a quick getaway whilst I could.

A great day and a total contrast to yesterdays flattie bash. Rumness is great mark but take only what you need, cos everything you take youve gotta cart back up the cliff. I tend to take 1 rod built up with the reel attached (it can act as a third leg) a tripod 20 leads, 20 rigs and a tray of bait.

This will probably be it now untill Ive been back offshore maybe try and get out 1one night an possibly monday but will let you all know how I get on

Cheers

Matt

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC