River Fishing...

Sneakkk

For me the whole point of river fishing is that it is a moving water, so dropping to the bottom does not appeal. If the water is moving it becomes a case of which float and which shotting pattern. I do use a 'tip when freelining or on using a drilled shot leger, but then again the bait is on the move.

Personally I find myself using a quill float (porcupine if at all possible) but there again my lens prescription is getting meatier so maybe this advice only applies to those visually challenged.

"Muddlin' along"

Hi

You really are spoillt for Canals around Nantwich. The Shroppie (Shropshire Union Canal) runs through the Canal Basin on the edge of Nantwich and goes North up to Chester. Just North of Nantwich it passes the entrance to the Llangollen Canal at Hurleston Junction and then the entrance to the Middlewich branch of the Trent & Mersey Canal at Barbridge.

I haven't fished any of them for years (moved to Suffolk 14 years ago) but all of the Canals were available in the Close season. There a number of other clubs in the area which have stretches of the Canals and there are various groupings which share parts. These include Nantwich Angling, Lymm Angling, Crewe Amalgamated Anglers and one that I intended to join before I moved South, Wyche Anglers Nantwich. Just Google Nantwich Canals/Angling/Shropshire Union or any of the above clubs.

Good luck, that's if you can get out with a new baby arriving! LOL

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Get hold of a few old John Wilson videos where he is on a river.... he does describe the techniques of using the flow of the river to get your bait where you want it. Ignore the more modern funny baits, ex building site lakes and fancy foreign stuff (wall paper)

This is a good example

http://youtu.be/6bZ09bmY4UA

"Muddlin' along"