Booty Bargain

Guest tigger

Most of them are alphabet lures. Most of them are fairly non-descript apart from the Perch Big 'S' and the Chrome Big 'S'.

Your missus did very, very well Tigger. There's at least 6 lures you've got there that are worth a fiver each.

A word of warning about the Big S's though - the hooks and hook hangers are not what they used to be. I had one bend to within and inch of it's life, after a 14lb pike.

Edited by ooarr_not_a_maggot

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah Emma I have a small multiplier Abu 5501c3 and it's good for lure fishing. I have a Greys 11 ft greyflex rod and a small Abu for lighter work. I've been on about getting a single handed lure rod for yonk's but just never got round to actually buying one I've got power pro on that reel and on my okuma vs fixed spool. I 've used spinners for pike since I was very young but never really gone at it seriously. I've caught smalll pike spinning up to arround 9/10 lb so nothing to get excited about. I've also caught Perch but nothing over the pound mark. As I say I've just played at it when I've been bored.

Well, it's probably good that even within angling that we have different tastes, and so follow different styles. I really got into lure fishing in the 70s, Shakespeare made a cock up with an order to their far east manufactorers, added a cople of 'zeros' too many to the order, at least thats what we were told, and our tackle shop was flooded with them at very low prices. We bought a few and were soon catching lots of Pike on them and so bought lots of them. They were wooden, mostly plug types with metal diving vanes which one adjusted by bending them up or down as required, some were surface lures with a propeller at each end called 'Crazy Critters', I experienced my first surface crashing Pike on one of those and really have never looked back. I still have some of those originals and even ocasionally clip one on, I caught a Jack on a yellow and orange Crazy critter last summer while demonstrating my 'vintage' lures to two lads who were not born when they were made. Now I am a sucker for state of the art lures and especially like soft bodies (Storm) especially after getting 3 Pike in 3 casts on them 2 years ago. (I know thats sounds a tall story but its true and I have witnesses). I suppose all it takes is a bit of sucess on a particular method and we become more firmly hooked than the fish.

I have been lucky to have had the opportunity, and sometimes it has been a necessity to fish a few different styles for a fairly wide range of species. Having been brought up literally on the bank (The sound of the river was my childhood lullabye) of a salmon and trout river, we learned the techniques required for it, fly and how to spin and worm. The lake a few miles away gave the opportuinty for pike and perch, but we didnt view that as coarse fishing really. Later living in Europe for years I learned how to catch roach, bream and carp, even got into match fishing and did ok at it, to be honest (and someone is prpbably going to call me names for saying this) the main excitement about catching roach and bream was the competitive element of seeing how many one could fill a keepnet with in a set time, and apart from sessions to practice techiques wouldn't have bothered with them as a 'fun' species to catch. Germany allowed me to encouter Zander and Wels, Rocky mountain river trout and lake muskies in Canada, Fly lure Largemouth bass in Cyprus reservoirs and in the 80s back in the UK I went through my stillwater trout (fly) phase, eventually feeling uncomfortable about commercial fisheries (I have been chastised for that too in here, apparently I am 'judgemental').

Recent years have been good, back up home and with lots of, at least wild looking water to go at and a 13' cuddy boat to go around 'em in so it has been back to lure fishing with a vengence. I get bored after 10 mins sitting over a deadbait. Unfortunetely ill health is having an impact (I was an emergency admission to hospital on thursday evening, but was out the next day). Lure fishing really requires the ability to move about, which is ok from a boat, but increasingly I can't do it from the bank, so it's big decision time, pack in fishing totally, or change my style. I have been bought a brolly and a bivvy type shelter, and have sent off for a feeder rod as the lake has enough roach in it to make them worth fishing for, and i suppose i could pop out and pop up a deadbait while I'm doing it.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

dant it says LANDA PIKKO written in a circle with number 20 in the middle.

Cheers Tigger. I'm amazed I got as close to the correct name as I did, I'm useless at remembering things like that usually. Great spoon that one, seems

well received by others too.. I'd love to get a couple if I could find anywhere that still sells them..

Whats next on the Tigger 'Car Boot Wishlist'? Perhaps a signed first edition of The Compleat Angler??

Guest tigger
They all look unused, It does make you wonder how they end up in a boot sale for a Fiver

Well done

You'd be amazed at the stuff you can get at car boot sales. My wife came home with Laura ashley rugs retailing at £175 for £1 each, watercolours from 1880 for £2, a Stevenograph picture for 30 pence valued at £180 and the list goes on and on. She said the man selling the lures had numerous other fishing tackle rods etc and some of his clothes and other personel stuff and he just wanted shut of everything so he was selling it at prices to make sure he didn't have to take it home again.

I'm gonna start going as who knows what other tackle he was selling along with the lures. She said there was stalls upon stalls of people with fishing gear for sale.

I used to love 'bootin' both as a buyer and a seller. One of the best fishin' bargains I got was a rod, a Shakespeare 'Equaliser' spin (8-25g 2.70m) in as new condition. It had a reel on it too, the young fellow on the next stall was sellin' it, He only asked £5, and I took it, put the reel (which I didn't fancy) out on my own stall and moved it for £8. I really felt sorry for him, he seemed very nice, he had a wife and a pair of hungry looking kids with him, and I imagined that he must have been strapped for cash to feed 'em. i couldn't help feeling that he would have been happier keeping his tackle and gettin rid of the kids. :D

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

You'd be amazed at the stuff you can get at car boot sales. My wife came home with Laura ashley rugs retailing at £175 for £1 each, watercolours from 1880 for £2, a Stevenograph picture for 30 pence valued at £180 and the list goes on and on. She said the man selling the lures had numerous other fishing tackle rods etc and some of his clothes and other personel stuff and he just wanted shut of everything so he was selling it at prices to make sure he didn't have to take it home again.

I'm gonna start going as who knows what other tackle he was selling along with the lures. She said there was stalls upon stalls of people with fishing gear for sale.

Blimey....where are these boot sales