return to the Arun and Rother

john frum

(Moved back to Sussex and taken up regular angling again after decades. I seem to be repeating that in every post I make but it might make me sound less of a wally.)

I've joined both Henfield DAS and the Hants & Sussex Alliance recently. The latter, although most of the waters are a bit far west for me, because as a kid I used to fish the Rother and have fond memories of it; not of any spectacular catches though. I've occasionally wandered along there - Fittleworth mostly - over the years and marvelled just how little the area has changed. I had a day at Fittleworth just after the season started - with miserable results - a couple of small Perch. Walking back I spoke to two other anglers who hadn't done a lot better. Reading between the lines (always a dodgy undertaking) in the HSA's website and handbook, tends to make me think that the Rother doesn't produce too much at the best of times. I'd heard that the Stopham section has plenty of Barbel, however an angler I spoke to in the area said that someone who has been fishing the stretch for 20 years has caught precisely two of them in that time! Walking along this section I thought that it really only looks possible to fish it by stalking. In my sixth decade I have to admit that I prefer "settling in" for a static fishing sesion!

Anyone like to comment in general terms about the Rother?

Arun

I've taken a look at the Hardham and Watersfield sections, both of which look difficult to fish - fair walks, tides, high banks, cattle trampling. Anyone know how to calculate the tides? I know it's about 3 hours later than the coast but how big a variation is it with tide sizes? Is it worth persisting with a sizeable ledger/feeder when the current's running strongly? Any other suggestions?

Also, I'm told that the stretch at Bury village is not under a club's control? Given that it's an absolutely beautiful spot, I'm thinking of trying it - it even looks much more fishable than the club sections upstream.

Whilst I'm "in the area" how about Burton Mill Pond? I caught some nice Tench there as a kid. Looking at an o/s map I see that it extends southwest and is marked "Chingford Pond". Is this accessible?

As an aside, the Adur has proved really enjoyable although I haven't fished any of the tidal sections yet. I seem to have caught nothing medium-sized, but I've had sizeable Bream (>5lb in one case) and Tench to about 4lb. All in all an encouraging return to coarse fishing. I wish I could say the same thing about the local beach fishing, which is just depressing.

john frum:

I wish I could say the same thing about the local beach fishing, which is just depressing.

You can say that again.

A friend of mine wanted to learn to fish, so the wife and I bought him a basic beach kit for his birthday, and we started getting in a couple of trips a month to the coast. First couple of trips the whiting were in, and we caught loads. Since then, it's been rubbish.

He's decided he wants to try coarse fishing too, so on Saturday I went with him to the tackle shop and helped him spend his money :) Almost as good as buying yourself new kit, that. He came out with a very nice twin-tip Avon/Quiver, shimano reel, rod bag, rucksack, landing net, etc, and a club card.

We fished the local tench lake last night. Bit frustrating,in that there was a huge amount of bubbling going on but quite few bites and hard to hit. I think the clarity of the water is a problem. I ended up with two tench of about 2 and 4 pounds, and a little perch, and lost one fish.

Even though he blanked, he's decided he much prefers it to beach fishing; he saw some fish caught, and could see from the activity in the swim that there were plenty more to be caught. I think we have another recruit.

I'm keeping an eye on the beach catch reports, and we'll give it another go when there are some fish coming out, but when you compare the cost of a trip to the coast in bait and petrol with a high probability of blanking with a five minute drive to the lake and a tin of sweetcorn, it's not very tempting.

Yes, a bit off-topic, but I've got a similar dilemma about taking a 10-year old fishing for the first time. He's expressed an interest and I know that one boring blank day might put him off for good. Coarse fishing's a bit fiddly for a newcomer but at least I can guarantee that he catches a few little roach etc.

I love sea fishing too but it's a lot of hard work for little reward - at least around here - as far as I can see. The local harbour arm is crowded and filthy. Brighton Marina costs money on every count; parking, per rod, bait, a few tackle losses... that's about £20 a time for a day's (more than likely) cr@p fishing.

Now back in Tasmania... groan.

The other question with a beginner is where to take them; somewhere really easy, or somewhere with a bit of challenge. The temptation must be to head for a carp puddle, but that just seems wrong to me. I gave Iain the option, and he picked the hard water with big tench (and blanked) but then he's a good twenty odd years older than your beginner and probably a bit more patient.

I have the opportunity to fish the Rother and it can produce good Skimmers and Roach throughout the year and if you are very lucky the occasional Sea Trout.

In my opinion it is without doubt a great fishing river,but do try to avoid if there is any risk of the smallest amout of flood water.

Good fishing

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

John,

Just read your post about beginners and the cost and the condition etc.You can find good day ticket waters for new starters that are not a rip off and are not over fished you have to look harder and longer.

Go to Bax farm fisheries they have their own web site ,very small only three small lakes biggest 1.5 acres but being improved and increased.

I guaratee that i first timer would catch 10 to 20 fish all species with the chance of a nice Tench of 4 to 5 lbs,and at only £7.00 per day with choice of half day great value.

Have to say it is owned by an old football friend of mine and i am sure you can find the same in your area.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.