Fishing in Madeira - any views

nickw

Looking through the brochures etc. to book up a holiday to Madeira in June. At the moment Canico de Baixo looks to be the most likely venue.

Although I am hoping to give the boat fishing a try what I would like to do is to try some lure fishing from the shore.

Has anyone got any knowledge of shore fishing in Madeira ?

Thanks

nick

Anyway nice to think about something more cheerful than the sleet outside :D

Nick,

fished there a few times over the years. There are no beaches as such (well 1 at Funchal but no fishing) but hundreds of rocky outlets and small headlands. Shore fishing is first class the whole year round for bonito, skippys, sea bass, rays, mullet, a chance of wahoo but limited and a host of other species I dont even know the names of. There is extremely deep water close to shore, especially at the southern end and by deep I mean close to a 500ft at one or two points within casting disctance, (west of Funchal) about three to six miles. These areas hold large eagle ray which can run to several hundred pounds. There are hammerheads, blues and mako around the Island so a wire trace is always advisable. 8 -10ft, 3lb TC rod should put you into fish on lures within a 60 -80yds cast. North west of the Island is wettest with the SE being the dryer area. There are also some excellent trout fisheries.

Most of the boats fish out of Funchal for white, striped and blue marlin(aug sept for blues), wahoo. yellowfin, albacore, dorado, bonito etc. Check the boat fishing out here:-

www.madeiragamefish.com.

Looking through the brochures etc. to book up a holiday to Madeira in June. At the moment Canico de Baixo looks to be the most likely venue.

Although I am hoping to give the boat fishing a try what I would like to do is to try some lure fishing from the shore.

Has anyone got any knowledge of shore fishing in Madeira ?

Thanks

nick

Anyway nice to think about something more cheerful than the sleet outside :D

:D Plenty of fish from the shore but the locals only fish for food, ie, mullet and bream.

Ron Cowling, skipper of Our Mary tells me there are big rays to be caught all year round but nobody fishes for them as they are only interested in the game fishing. He is going to do winter, out of season trips for them if anyone is interested. He also says that the shore fishing is untapped as nobody does any casting and there is very deep water close in. He said while he was at anchor in the harbour, waiting for a mooring, he regularly hooked big fish on the bottom, usually rays. So, I'd give it a go, give him a ring on, 00351 291 231823 for a chat. :rolleyes:

Many thanks for the reply and advice. I will do a bit more research as you suggest looking forward to it, I do hope to get in a boat trip as well so will look at the suggested website.

Nick