9lb-plus mullet.....

Jim Gibbinson

In the readers' catches section of a recent issue of a sea fishing magazine (might have been Sea Angler), there is a picture of an angler holding a mullet, the weight of which is given as 9lb 6oz.

Did anyone else notice it?

Any comments?

:D I've just received a picture of a 10lb mullet caught Plymouth, don't think you'll see it in SA yet. :rolleyes:

Haven't seen it myself but I'm guessing it looks more like a 3lb'er to the trained eye.

My fave was the 21lb shore caught smoothy that had the length of a 6lb'er unless the captor was 17ft tall.

Or was it the boat caught catch n release smoothy and roker hanging up by the dock

or the ................:lol:

I must find out where they bought their scales, I've always wanted a 20lb ba....... well you know. ;)

Haven't seen it myself but I'm guessing it looks more like a 3lb'er to the trained eye.

My fave was the 21lb shore caught smoothy that had the length of a 6lb'er unless the captor was 17ft tall.

Or was it the boat caught catch n release smoothy and roker hanging up by the dock

or the ................:lol:

I must find out where they bought their scales, I've always wanted a 20lb ba....... well you know. ;)

:D I can tell you a story now because they've 'fixed' the problem. There is a firm who make very good, accurate scales in 2 sizes, I think upto 24lbs and upto 42lbs, or something like it, I have a set but I can't be bothered to fight my way through the garage to find them. Some unscrupulous anglers found that if you put the dial from the 42lb scales onto a set of 24lb scales you got a pro rata higher reading. which accounted for many 'specimen' fish as the scales had a good name for accuracy and of course your weights and measures certificate was based on the higher weight scales so all fish weighed on them were about 50% overweight. Your witness gave the weight on the scales and if anyone queried the weight you just put the dial back on the correct scales and said 'get them checked then'. :unsure: