OCEAN PROWLER

Hake

Can anyone tell me exactly what the differences are between the Standard and Angler editions.

I've asked a retailer who said that the only differences are two flush-mounted rod holders and a small tackle box on the Angler edition.

However, I thought the seat was different also, but perhaps I got that wrong.

The difference in cost is only 30 quid.

Thanks guys.

Mike

The seats that were supplied with my prowler 13 and 15 angler versions are the same as those found on the standard yaks. Apart from the rodholders and box,one other difference is the angler logo on the side.

Dan

Thanks Dan.

I'm not interested in the tackle box or the logo, so I guess its a question of whether or not factory fitted (as opposed to diy) flush-mounts are worth 30 quid.

What kind of seat is it....ie is it a setaor just a simple backrest ?

Mike

Mike,

the seat provided with the Prowler is perfectly comfortable - it is both a padded base and backrest. It just buckles in with brass spring clips to support the back rest and give you something to lean against and gives really quite good support.

An upgrade is available with extra padding and wider side supperts, there is a pocket on the back too - but it is about a £60 or £70 difference - if you are a total lounge lizard you might think it worth the extra - but the standard seat is perfectly comfortable enough for a weekend of two full days afloat.

The fitted flush mounts are probably worth the £30 - to buy the fittings is going to cost you about £20 - bt you don't have the luxury of fitting them into moulded in screw threads - the factory fitted ones are done with captive socket threads which are incorporated into the moulding process, so they are embedded in the material. DON'T BE TEMPTED TO TAKE THEM OUT THOUGH!!! The threads are sealed and the flush mounts are also sealed - with a cross bar at the bottom to stop your rod turning round if you have butt slots in the butt of your rod. I doubt very much you could do as neat a job for a tenner!

Alternative option is to buy a standard version and fit a Scotty/RAM mount on the forward end of the centre console. Putting any kind of mount aft of the seat means using well nuts or rivets - you don't have access to this area from within - hence the use of sealed threads by the factory.

I hope this has helped - if you want to fiddle for the sake of it - then get a standard one. If you get an angler version you can still fiddle elsewhere!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Sold to the man in Staffs !!

Thanks Simon.

I'll go for the Angler edition and fiddle with other bits...eg the fishfinder which is waiting patiently on the shelf. Std seat should suit me fine.

Mike :D

Mike

I also found the seat to be perfectly comfortable although i did glue a piece of sleeping mat foam to the base just to improve things a bit. On my prowler i needed to adjust the rod holders as they left the rods pointing too far out to the sides.I removed them and redrilled the holes.On my yak there were no built in threads and well nuts were used. The holders were sitting on a sticky rubber gasket that was removable and was reused. I was a bit dissapointed with the hole that had been cut as it looked as though it had been hacked out with a blunt knife. However i still think 30 quid is good value for the seat and fitted rod holders.

Dan

Hake,

The extra £30 is worth every penny, by the time you have purchased the holders (if you buy the Ocean Kayak versions they come with wellnuts) and sourced your wellnuts it will cost more than the £30. The only downside with the Angler Editions is the colours, be seen yellow, or not olive, the choice is yours.

Having said that I would always fit my own holders, it's just I like them a certain way.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Now that I've ordered my P13, i'll need a paddle.

Brookbank canoes are offering a free paddle. I'm not sure what it is, but I think it sells for #29.99 - so just a cheapo really. I'm hoping that if I want a better one they'll give me #30 credit against it instead of the free one.

This being the case, what would you guys recommend ? I'd be looking for soemthing "middle-of the road", ie better than a basic cheapo, but not a top-line really expensive one either.

All advice gratefully received.

Mike