Teach your children

Paul Boote

[With sincere apologies to CSN and to JoniM]

Seen linked on the Midcurrent flyfishing news just now.

"But if this little sport-any sport-is to have a future, we need new blood, young blood, like the two 10-year-olds I saw watching a fly-tying demonstration, their eyes aglow with wonder and delight-the same sheer joy that brought most of us to this funny little sport, the same sheer joy that, unless we in the business manage to wring all the joy and wonder out of it in the name of business, will continue to bring in new people, shining warriors of the future who will take our places, perpetually protecting all our rivers from the forces of evil."

James R. Babb in Gray's Sporting Journal about the huge, annual, Denver flyfishing retailers show. Now, think Britain … think coarse, not game…

http://www.grayssportingjournal.com/storie...6/angling.shtml

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Nice article Paul - interesting to me even though I am not a fluff person at all.

And the snippet you quoted is as good a thought for this forum and our members as I've seen in yonks.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Nice article Paul - interesting to me even though I am not a fluff person at all.

And the snippet you quoted is as good a thought for this forum and our members as I've seen in yonks.

Some people might not quite agree with James Babb, or with me, Newt -

http://tinyurl.com/8x4q5

- but, in these times of "managed expectations", the more determined among us can only continue to work for the greater good, and live in hope...

Edited by Paul Boote

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Some people might not quite agree with James Babb, or with me, Newt

And some people might be idiots Paul.

I suppose I could have been more PC and said they might be shortsighted or mistaken but .... nope, idiots says it perfectly.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President