strange carp behaviour ?

Mald

i thought they only closed through january... i havent had much luck on the big lake myself only done a few days n always been in the wrong place when they start boshing out, think im startin to get the hang of it tho.

had a few out of the back lake its a really 'stalking' lake and also great fun.

shall have to arrange something sometime, probs be after easter if your up for it.

yeah think i normally go easter bank holiday...never seems to be as busy...think most people don't bother cos they think it'll be busy...the key on ther is to take your time in selecting your swim...sit and watch the water for a hour or 2 in that time you should be able to work out wher the fish are then set up on them....stick some little bags on em and wait...don't set bivy up and if the fish move then you move with them..if you can stay mobile you should start to get some results...key is keepin your eyes on the water...get up an hour before 1st light make a cuppa and sit and watch...if fish are showing elsewher on lake then move on to em...so many people on ther stay zipped up in bed till gone 10 in morn and by that time they'll have missed the best period...so in other words keep your eyes peeled bang the bags on the fish and watch the bobbins fly...oh and don't skimp on bait...stick a quality bait on em and they'll eat it...seen so many people blank on ther cos they wanted to save a few quid on a k of boilie...a quality frozen bait will get you alot more fish on the mat than a cheap ready made on ther...and don't ignore the margins most people giv it the big chuck wher 90% of my fish have come at no more than 40 yards....had a 27 in 1 and half foot of water no more than a foot from bank on last vist ther!!!!!! christ givin away all my secrets on that water here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so keep it :secret:

The carp in my clubs Top pool regulary take a peek out of the water.

I have seen some come right out at a vertical angle so I can even see their tail.

Strange thing is I have never seen the carp do this in the other two pools.

Some of the top pool carp are so good at it they hardly make a splash.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

i have a couple of mates who fish it too and their tactics are pretty much exactly the same as yours and they too have had big fish close in. they use big bags rather than small ones but still not that much difference i guess. my main disadvantage is when i have got among the fish theyve either pushed out right into the middle where im not able to reach or the winds turned and theyve buggered off when its too late to move or do anythin about it. i hope to do alot better this year n if you come along sometime im sure you can show me how its done :D

steve.

i have a couple of mates who fish it too and their tactics are pretty much exactly the same as yours and they too have had big fish close in. they use big bags rather than small ones but still not that much difference i guess. my main disadvantage is when i have got among the fish theyve either pushed out right into the middle where im not able to reach or the winds turned and theyve buggered off when its too late to move or do anythin about it. i hope to do alot better this year n if you come along sometime im sure you can show me how its done :D

yeah mate no problems....keep it quite an simple and the fish shouldn't move out...you only need 3 casts 1 for each rod...i'll sometimes leave the rigs in the rings and wait to see a fish pop its head out then drop the bait on its head...you made a good point about the wind the fish really do love a fresh wind on there...

Yeah always a good pointer if you cant see anythin showin i guess, probs cos its so open on there. It amazes me the amount of fish that crash out, its continous. Seen fish 'wave', pop their heads out, fully bosh out the water or even as mald said almost 'tail walking' like a pike would. Talking of which there are meant to be some Monster Pike in both lakes, and best of all NO - ONE fishes for them. Might be worth a crack when the carp arent having it as pike seem to thrive on neglect.

steve.

I've kept a few carp as pond fish, and have seen this behaviour a few times. I've got a pretty good feeling that the carp in question may have been trying to dislodge some kind of parasite - my carp had a parastic problem. They also scraped their flanks against hard objects (called glancing in the aquarist world). This caused a bright flash as the sunlight reflected from their scales. Thsi is often seen in river fish such as barbel, but in this case they may well be trying to dislodge the gravel in the river bed to find food.