Cant wait till March, not long now...

Blue Marlin

not sure if it's the same opening times for rivers over the uk but ever since close of season (end of september) i've been busting to get down my local the river taff and spin for some trout..

As well as being in heaven (down the river... every other day.... prolly why i'm still single lol), i did much carping and lakes in general last year but the river, oh how i've mised it.

march so close yest so far... bring on the trout! :sun:

anyone else out there itching for open season on their rivers or is it just me?..... guys?

Edited by Blue Marlin

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue Marlin,

I'm glad you posted this, I have always had an urge to try spinning for trout. I do fish the fly in English reservoirs but I would like to try my hand at spinning. As far as I know there is nowhere in England to do this.

So my question is:

How, where and when can I spin for trout on the Taff? Can I get a day ticket? From where? How much? What is the fishing like? Where is good spot? Can I take some of my catch? Are they brown trout?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Blue Marlin,

I'm glad you posted this, I have always had an urge to try spinning for trout. I do fish the fly in English reservoirs but I would like to try my hand at spinning. As far as I know there is nowhere in England to do this.

So my question is:

How, where and when can I spin for trout on the Taff? Can I get a day ticket? From where? How much? What is the fishing like? Where is good spot? Can I take some of my catch? Are they brown trout?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Hi Ian,

Fishing on the Taff is amazing. well i love it anyhow.. I usually cover around 2 - 3 miles either up or down-stream and back each session.. spinning is about covering as much water as possible then moving on to the next bit.. it's like an adventure, huckleberry-fin style.. whats around the next corner?

tactics, well think of nature and mimic it. trout eat anything even their own arrrrrrrr cannabals lol.. Best time to go spinning in general is at beginning of the season when there are lots of tasty snacks in the shape of small fish / minnows about and spinning a lure (small mepps type) kinda mimics nature at this time of year...

later on when it warms up and fly's start hatching get the fly rod out, again mimicing nature, keeping it simple.. all types of juvenille and adult caddisfly, mayfly and stonefly work well on different months as the year progresses.

as far as i know day tickets can be purchased from the tackle shop in Merthyr town (main drag) and also at the (only) corner / grocieries shop in Quakers Yard, prolly some other places too, wouldn't be hard to stalk them down once in the area, just ask. not sure how much day tickets are these days as i just pay the £45 every year to re-new my licence, a few quid, fiver at most??.

i know there's a bag limit of 6 per person per day but personaly i return every fish and maybe get a photo of one if it's a biggy. they are mainly stocked brownies with the odd wildy now and then which is nice. the conditions of the waters here have really improved over the years and more and more salmon and greyling are being caught of recent too.

if ya in the area drop us a line and i could show u some wkd spots, i'm usually down there every other day anyhow so no skin off my nose fella :D

nice 1, tight lines! ;)

Edited by Blue Marlin

Blue Marlin,

I have always had an urge to try spinning for trout. I do fish the fly in English reservoirs but I would like to try my hand at spinning. As far as I know there is nowhere in England to do this.

?? Not quite sure what you mean by that, Ian. Plenty of trout streams just in my little patch of the S.W. where you can spin virtually to your hearts content (with some restrictions to fly-only on certain streams at certain times of year) Would have imagined it was true of 'minor' AA controlled trout streams all over the place? Or are we just very liberal down here in the West? ;)

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

I was driving from Evesham to Upton yesterday an noticed a stream on the map iits bow brook? Have you any info on that Ian??

I too would love to hear of a trout stream hereabouts!

Hi Matt, remember the Isbourne?? you know the one that flows North :P Well you were going to a survey on foot if my memory seves me right, any feedback would be welcome. And what about the Arrow? thats a mighty fine river, dont know much about the fishing rights, probably all tied up with the fly boys. Last but not least there is always the Teme. :thumbs: