Newbie...Surrey

phooey

Hi,

the card is behind the 'virtual bar' so help yourselves...

Having taken a short break from fishing ( 27 yrs ) am back with a vengance and the idea of Kayak fishing has REALLY taken my imagination.

Have surfed the net and seen LOADS of boats and heres where I need help - what yak to buy ? and how to kit it out.

Am going to have a paddle of a couple down at my local dealer in sussex tomorrow but that's just to get a feel for the game.

I like the look of the Tarpon 160i angler, but there are others that look interesting too.

I want to river fish ( pike perch zander ), but also love the idea of sea fishing.

Have never fly fished but that sounds great fun too - GOD there is just SOOO much I would like to get stuck into.

Travel light sounds a good idea so flying / spinning a possibility.

What fishfinder to fit ?

.....I need a LOTTA help.

please ?

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Phooey - you will find a lot of friends on here and everyone willing to help.

The Tarpon is OK - well built, but that makes it a little heavy. You have to decide for yourself, but try other makes/models too before you send your money. Quite a few folks have bought a good kayak but then realised they need something different. We are (all?) willing to let you have a paddle of our kayaks - those that answer will be anyway!

From those you have a selection of different kayaks to sample.

Things to think of: weight and paddlability - you have to get it back on te roof after a hard day. Then the difference between 56-58lbs compared to 70+ becomes significant. So it does when you come to paddle it - you have to move that weight. On a river/lake, no big deal. On the sea it adds up very considerably after a couple of miles.

Paddle - if you are ging to fish in the sea a good paddle is a good friend, a heavy, cheap one becomes a bind - you become fatigued sooner than you would with a light, well balanced paddle. Spend your money wisely and get a good paddle.

Fish finder - get used to your kayak before fitting accesories. You can do no better than spend a coupe of days just going for a paddle and practising falling off/capsize drill. You need to be able to get your kayak back the right way up, and climb back aboard without help. It isn't difficult - in fact a good kayak is very difficult to fall off. Some of the less good ones aren't quite as predictable in a wave as they seem on flat water - if trying a kayak for a demo - use the sea, not a lake/pond - the calm water tells you NOTHING.

Safety kit:

first up is a buoyancy jacket/vest/inflating lifejacket - something of that order. DON'T GO AFLOAT WITHOUT IT.

For the sea you need a compass and a whistle (many buoyancy aids come with a whistle) - hiking compass quite adequate to hit the shoreline ifthe fog comes down - a Silva will get you back to the harbour/river mouth.

Personal Flares - a pack of mini flares is all you need. Local chandelry will have them.

Watertight bag for your mobile phone - or dedicated housing.

Anchor and line - your handbrake on the water. Not just a useful temporary mooring, but an indespensible safety item. An anchor prevents you from being swept away ifyou become ill or knackered - just drop anchor, phone for help and you wil still be where you said you were.

Waterproof clothing - loads to go at. If starting afresh, get paddling togs - neoprene waders will work for your bottom half if you intend do go shore fishing too - and warm when you get in/out of the kayak at the waters edge.

These are just some of the things you need to consider long before you think of fish finders etc. If you go fishing with someone else they will have a finder and can help put you on fish.

Welcome aboard - and if you get Boat Fishig Monthly you will see regular kayak fishing features (mostly by me!)

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Simon,

Thanks for the in depth reply - lots of good advice and won't be wasted.

Not in a hurry to waste money, just keen to get afloat.

There are a few dealers with access to water ( lake / river ) local to me and I will start there.

Note your comment re sea handling and will have to see what can be arranged.

Had a look at other posts and advice / links given to others in my position. Will keep surfing.

Regards.

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Kaskazi Dorado

Phooey,

I'm across the way in Hampshire and mainly fish around The Witterings and Hayling Island, if you want to try out a Prowler 13 or Caper, both are fully rigged give me a shout and we can arrange something, all you will need is some warm gear and a PFD (Lifejacket).

I think that Simon more or less covered everything else :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Phooey,

Did you get to Surrey via Hong Kong ?

Namesake.....stuck with it now.

Phooey,

I'm across the way in Hampshire and mainly fish around The Witterings and Hayling Island, if you want to try out a Prowler 13 or Caper, both are fully rigged give me a shout and we can arrange something, all you will need is some warm gear and a PFD (Lifejacket).

SM,

I had a potter on a lake today ( liked it ) didn't feel the cold at all ( fingers excepted ).

Have arranged 3 more boats this weekend - I think a caper and a prowler were 2 and the other a tarpon 160. Like Simon said though a lake is not the same as tidal so if your offer stands I will grab yer arm orft mate :)

I get most weekends off and have 1 days leave owing if weekday is better for you. Could you PM me with details ?

Cheers !

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Kaskazi Dorado

Well,

Had a potter round on a caper and a prowler 13 today. The caper felt a bit small although like the prowler was a stable boat.

I liked the prowler a lot.

Easy to paddle, and had a 'good feel' to it.

The stretchy cover over the front stowage was fiddly to put back on though, and a pity it didn't come fitted with the Scotty the Tarpon had as standard. I really don't want to drill holes in a boat unless I have to.

The Tarpon 140 I liked for it's easy access hatches ( 3 ) big storage capacity, build quality which seems better than the other two, accessories and big boat feel.

Downside was it was a bit heavier to paddle.

Oh and a tad more expensive.

I am going to try a Malibu Kayaks X FACTOR. I e-mailed them in OZ last week and they phoned me up this AM. They have a rep in Liecestershire. I spoke to him and he is going to arrange a paddle and call me back later today.

Will post my observations when I have tried it.

Anyone here got one ?

http://hookedonkayaks.com/productcart/pc/v...duct=27#details

Edited by phooey

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Kaskazi Dorado