FLADEN FLOTATION VEST

Hake

I'm considering one of these for my PFD.

If anyone else uses one of these, what do you think of it ?

Does anyone know anywhere within say an hour of Sheffield that sells them ? I'm relcutant to buy one mail order in case either I don't like it when I try it on (have already tried some others that I don't like) or I buy the wrong size.

Cheers.

Mike

The Fladen pfd is good value for money.I have a more expensive pfd (YAK - koast) but I bought the Fladen one afterwards as the many pockets were better suited for me. You may find that the sizes are generous - The medium size fits me ok.

If you can't source one locally then if you do buy online you have the 7 days cooling off period if its not suitable - you can return the item (unused) for any reason for a refund providing you pay the return postage.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Thanks Speciman.

I havew a Fladen flotation suit 2 pce and the jacket in large fits me (I'm a fat b"$%&*d). So, Iguess large in PFD would be ok too.

Like you, the pockets appeal to me. My fav out of the others I've tried is a Palm Ocean touring PFD. Its the least uncomfortable of all (under £100) that I've tried !

Obviously safety, rather than cash, is the key issue, but if the Fladen cuts the mustard, then why not save a few bob as well (have seen it advertised for £40).

Mike

Hake,

I have a Fladen vest - it is ideal. The pockets are large enough to take a set of miniflares, compass and whistel (supplied with the vest) all in the same one. That leaves the other large one for odds and sods of small fishing bits - box of small items like swivels, split rings etc. Then there are mesh pockets outside of this for tools or spools of tippet.

The build quality is not as good as the Palm, but it is comfortable and has the same buoyancy rating. Don't know how long lived it will be - time will tell.

The Palm is top notch - it is tight because the foam is firmer and will stay together longer. Cheap foams break down with age and lose their float effectiveness. Hence the cheaper price. Palm don't compromise on the quality - on any of it. Better cover material, better foam, but less convenenient for anglers - VERY good for paddlers, their main market. Sea touring is the heritage we are working from - only a few manufacturers are waking up to the angling side of things. Fladen happen to have got in early.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo