match fishing for dogfish

hampshire_angler

A Flyer is an extra baited hook on a snood conected to the main trace paternoster style Just puts an extra bait in the water, used often in inshore boat angling if the main target is for example cod you can fish a smaller Hook/ Bait for whiting ect. Sods Law states that you catch the big fish on the small Hook so beware.

In matches once you have cast out, a flyer is a hooklength on a clip that is slid down the line, sometimes with a small weight or float(for gars) it is a way of fishing at distance, but also in close, because if you fish with quite a slack line you can fish the flyer on the bottom, good when scratching for flounders, rockling etc. When you reel in the clip either stops on the top of your trace or at your leader knot. Can pick up the occasional fish when things are quiet.

Just goes to show that there is no such thing as a straight awnser in our sport have also heard the expression used to refer to a live bait slid down the line in the same fashion as back-lash mentioned .

Good Luck mate :thumbs:

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I fish in doggie heaven (SW Scotland) during the summer, and half a small or medium sandeel whipped onto a size 1 or 2 Kamasan, using 3 hooks is what commonly used up there.

Last match I fished up there last summer was won with 90lb of fish :o I had over 40lb and came nowhere :blink:

I fished in the same match davy and had a similar bag i fished right next to the guy that was 2nd and all his fish including a 7lb huss n a 7lb thornie came on rag tipped mackeral on a three hooks flapping rig with 25lb snoods and size 2 kamsans!!

Are you from round Kirkcudbright way Chris? Myself and my mate Shaun come up every summern, especially for Davy littles flattie match on the Saturday, then the match on the Sunday - its a great weekend! :D