fishfinder suitability

Martin Hurst

Had the following from Eagle customer services - may be of use to Nifty!!

Thank you for your inquiry, if the Kayak is not made of metal and does not contain a layer of air or foam between the outer and inner hull, then you may successfully install and use that transducer inside the kayak. Otherwise, the transducer may have to be placed on a fabricated bracket on the outside of the kayak. You may want to test the transducer capability before installing it, by putting the transducer in a bag of water and set the bag on the bottom inside of the kayak hull. Then have the kayak sitting on a body of water. If done properly the sonar will be able to read through the bag of water, through the kayak body and give a proper depth reading on the sonar screen.

:yeah:

Ok Prowler 13

Had the following from Eagle customer services - may be of use to Nifty!!

Thank you for your inquiry, if the Kayak is not made of metal and does not contain a layer of air or foam between the outer and inner hull, then you may successfully install and use that transducer inside the kayak. Otherwise, the transducer may have to be placed on a fabricated bracket on the outside of the kayak. You may want to test the transducer capability before installing it, by putting the transducer in a bag of water and set the bag on the bottom inside of the kayak hull. Then have the kayak sitting on a body of water. If done properly the sonar will be able to read through the bag of water, through the kayak body and give a proper depth reading on the sonar screen.

:yeah:

Never really understood the reasoning behind making holes in something that is meant to float myself....

Edited by phooey

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Hi Martin,

After our trip last week, I got in touch with the technical services at Garmin and they advised me that the transducer supplied with my finder was probably not suitable for using in the hull and I would probably be better off trying to find a way of fixing it externally.

I've got it rigged up again through a scupper hole under the seat and am going to test it out Tomorrow hopefully, If it works ok then I'll let you know.

Stuart :)