Bits and bobs First Pike

FisherManDan50

Sorry, I may have worded it wrong. I totally agree Andy that a lot of people go fishing for other species in the summer because it's when they're most active. Pike are at a higher weight in Jan/Feb than in the middle of summer but it isn't the only reason people fish for them in the winter.

Andy,

I simply addressed this snippet - """" Neil, I doubt that is correct.""""

I tried to give you solid evidence it is correct.

As for a discussion - #1 in the US May is definitely the best month to target pike in the northern United States and southern Canada. Recuperated from spawning, they prowl the shallows for panfish and baitfish. #2 Pike are most active in cold water, and northern pike are caught more easily in winter than in summer (100 hours vs 130) #3 A pike's voracious appetite not only makes it easier to catch than some other fish, it can grow to impressive sizes, making it a great trophy or meal.

All three of these reasons may "outrank" fish size.

I mean - who wants to catch dinky 3 lb perch?

Phone

Okay, sounds like your seasons dictate slightly different timings than over here in the UK. Most of the pike I've caught in the winter seem to be covered with leeches suggesting possibly a more sedentary lifestyle in the winter, it's certainly easier to find them when it's colder where I am as the smaller fish tend to move to the deeper areas of the rivers and the pike usually follow close behind this food source. I've noticed this pattern over the past few years, the fishing gets better from say November onwards peaking in Feb/March.

Lets hope it doesn't rain so much this year though as then we may actually be able to get to the river to wet a line!

• Like 1