when is the best time to catch particular fish

thuramario

i wonder if i could make fishing more productive by fishing the right fish at the right time. e.g. tench in may cos they r breeding (that was just a guess as an example, i have no idea when any of them breed). im thinking if i get this info i could plan a season and target the right fish at the right time (with the right bates), giving me the edge over my mates lol. i only fish cannals, lakes, rivers and ponds (no fisheries), and fancy myself as more a specimen fisherman (i think thats when you target certain fish) so this would be helpfull.

That's a hell of a question and probably far too big to answer on here. I could write a whole book on when to target a single species, never mind a generalised question on a forum. If you hang about on AnglersNet long enough, you'll see patterns of questions come and go over the year. You'll notice there a questions about surface feeding in Summer or lure fishing in early spring for instance. Most things are seasonal. Some topics will appear in Spring and Autumn but not in Summer. I could answer just those things alone but I'm already well into this answer already and I haven't answered you specifically yet. You see how big your topic is?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

i will do some online surfing and see what i come up with (I thought the question was a biggie lol). cheers for the help anyway.

In the eary summer I fish for Tench in the early morning and then pack up have something to eat and go Barbeling in the river during the evening.

I could of course go Barbeling in the early morning and Tenching in the evening but one usually consistant feature in the waters that I fish is that the worst time to fish in the early summer for Tench or Barbel is usually between 10 am and 5 pm. when the sun is high which is the time that most anglers turn up and fish.

Although there are the odd exceptions to this rule of thumb.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

My year is roughly:

April to June: Tench, bream and trout

July to August: Trotting on the river, carp other random trips

September: Barbel and more trotting

October to March: Perch, chub, grayling and more trotting.

Most of my season is more preference than necessarily one time being better for one species than another. However tench seem to feed well before they spawn in June and even though perch are my favourite species I very rarely fish for them until after the first frosts. Other timings are simply common sense, perch, pike, grayling and chub will all feed in the coldest of conditions when most sensible fish (and anglers) are just trying not to freeze to death! I've caught perch from the thames when it was frozen over!

Rich

Guest Rabbit
In the eary summer I fish for Tench in the early morning and then pack up have something to eat and go Barbeling in the river during the evening.

I

What a wonderful life you have Bold Bear, think I could buy into that :D

• 3 weeks later...
Far to big a topic to answer on here but I always increase my chances of a good days fishing by targeting the right species for the prevailing conditions.

what conditions what fish if you dont mind me asking.

the reason i am asking all these questions is that i have sussed bream, skimmer, roach, and other small fish (i think) and i am desperate to step it up a gear, dare i say it i might be getting a little boared of fishing (well at least the style of fishing i am doing). i am desperate for big fish and really want to increase my chances as i have spent all of the summer chasing tench, and nothing. had to do a bit of bream fishing just for my sanity lol.

You're bored of catching small fish because you think you've sussed them out, you've caught no tench and now you want something bigger? I think you lack patience.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

what conditions what fish if you dont mind me asking.

the reason i am asking all these questions is that i have sussed bream, skimmer, roach, and other small fish (i think) and i am desperate to step it up a gear, dare i say it i might be getting a little boared of fishing (well at least the style of fishing i am doing). i am desperate for big fish and really want to increase my chances as i have spent all of the summer chasing tench, and nothing. had to do a bit of bream fishing just for my sanity lol.

Reads a bit like a young lad that has just got his first car and can only dream of bigger ,faster ones, despite the fact he's a cr** driver.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep