How does the forum recognise you?

Kappa

Hi all,

I recently started using FireFox on my mobile and since then it has switched my computer to using the mobile version of the forum, I never had this issue with the standard Android browser. Does the forum recognise the IP address and the browser to apply user preferences (e.g. mobile vs. full version?).

If it can recognise your IP etc etc can you also block IP addressees (rabbits).

Rich

• Like 1

Browsers send a browser agent string, a chunk of text with their request identifying their type. It looks like this;

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; tr-TR) AppleWebKit/533.20.25 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.4 Safari/533.20.27"

Servers then customise what is sent back depending on what the developers have decided works best on that platform.

I much prefer the full site on my iPhone, but it keeps stubbornly reverting to the mobile version!

Some browsers will allow you to customise the agent string to whatever you want it to be, which is one workaround for a site which is stubbornly sending you a version that you don't like.

I was having a peak about and part of it is managed by cookies another dig about on the ipboard forums and at a glance it seemed there was a fix for that part of the coding, perhaps the choice of version isnt being properly added to the cookie.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

It would make more sense but try getting a developer to change something that is patently obvious to the wider world would be harder than getting blood from a stone :D

facebook example would be "photos of me" and "albums".

"photos of me" are ones ive been tagged in, this can be anything from a fishing photo or one of a cat hanging from a washing line. id rather my albums show up first as I have some amazing photos to show but get overlooked because of "photos of me"

people have mentioned it but will facebook change it, no, why ? because they think they know best :D

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk