lure rod

viney

Will you be fishing from the bank? If so I would suggest something around 7-8ft long. Shorter rods can be quite a handicap, especially if there's lots of marginal vegetation.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I have a couple of discontinued Fox jigging rods that I've used from the bank for perch and small pike - one is a 6' vertical jigging rod and the other a 7' 6" bank jigging rod. I started off using the shorter rod but found 2 problems with it - 1. it's too short and became frustrating when trying to fish along the margins and 2. the stiffness of the tip meant I was often bumping off perch. The longer rod is much easier to fish with, and as it has a more sensitive tip I now land a lot more perch. It still has enough backbone for the occasional pike.

When fishing the little rubber lures for perch on light jig heads, I have found that it can take a little time for the bite to develop, unlike with pike where they normally just inhale it. The softer tip allows for this, at times it's almost like quivertipping.

Little kopytos (2-3") work well, especially in white/yellow/green. Like zander, they seem to like to take the lure as it's slowly falling on a tight line, so a good default retrieve seems to be a couple of turns of the reel handle to 'swim' the lure a couple of feet off bottom, pause and let it 'swim, back down on a tight line, repeat. And the lighter the jig head, the slower the lure can be worked.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Cheers mate I will look for a slightly longer rod than in the link, not going to spend much on one as I've never really got on with lure fishing just got an urge to try it again after being shown a different way of doing it the other day

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Cheers mate I will look for a slightly longer rod than in the link, not going to spend much on one as I've never really got on with lure fishing just got an urge to try it again after being shown a different way of doing it the other day

Come along to the Rutland fish-in in Oct - I can lend you everything you need for the day if you want to try vertical jigging for zander, it's great fun and will definitely kick-start a renewed love of lure fishing (it did for me!).

Come along to the Rutland fish-in in Oct - I can lend you everything you need for the day if you want to try vertical jigging for zander, it's great fun and will definitely kick-start a renewed love of lure fishing (it did for me!).

Will have a look at the dates now :) thanks for the offer, got 2 weeks holiday left to take before Christmas that I plan to use for fishing. Would be a nice break from the barbel fishing

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88