Mythe Pool Help

Lurcherman1

Hi folks,

Has anyone on here fished Mythe Pool near Tewkesbury with any success? I've tried a few times, with maggots, corn, pellet, boilies, on the waggler, lead, feeder, whip, PVA bagging, and not caught a thing. I'm a bit miffed cos I joined the BAA to save money on day tickets, and I cant seem to catch a thing :( . I'm a fairly experibneced angler, but I've never fished a water this hard before!

Am I doing somthing drastically wrong? Please help!

Thanks in Advance, James

Hi folks,

Has anyone on here fished Mythe Pool near Tewkesbury with any success? I've tried a few times, with maggots, corn, pellet, boilies, on the waggler, lead, feeder, whip, PVA bagging, and not caught a thing. I'm a bit miffed cos I joined the BAA to save money on day tickets, and I cant seem to catch a thing :( . I'm a fairly experibneced angler, but I've never fished a water this hard before!

Am I doing somthing drastically wrong? Please help!

Thanks in Advance, James

Hi James,

I havn't fished Mythe but have walked it a few times. I find it very hard to pass Uckingall pool on my way down from my home in Worcester. Have you ever fished this?

From my many walks around mythe I noticed that there is alot of natural food so this will make it difficult for a start. Also I don't know if you are aware of this but they lost alot of fish a few years ago through a algael bloom. I think it was mainly the larger tench and a few carp. There are a few larger carp in there as I have seen them. One particular area that got my attention was a large clear patch about 50yrds from the upstream end. I could see alot of carp passing over this.

It all depends what you are looking to catch really. If you are looking for the carp then you will have to fish very heavy(I wouldn't go any lighter than 15lb) and find the clear patches. Fish on the edges of the clear spots with everything inside a pva bag so you dont get hung up on the weed.

If you are fishing for the bream(which there are a few of) I would fish the pole/waggler/feeder(your choice) from the new match pegs. Feed half a dozen balls of fishmeal groundbait laced with small pellets and sweatcorn and try various hookbaits over it.

As for the tench you could try popping down the night before and raking a spot or two. I don't know what type if silt is in mythe but you need to find an area that doesn't contain that horrible smelling black stuff. This is one of those tactics that will either pay off or scare everything for miles. When you finish raking feed a few handfulls of bait around the spot. Don't feed lots of the same thing though as tench can get very preoccupied on one certain bait and you could have twenty tench in front of you but if they are only searching for hemp you wont catch them. When you return in the morning feed a couple more small handfulls of bait and fish over this.

I don't know if these tactics will work but they are the first things I will be trying this year, as I will be starting a campaign on there when the weather warms up.

Have you heard the rumour of the 40lb catfish that is supposed to be swimming around in there, I have heard this from a number of people.

Hope this helps, and maybe we can meet for a days fishing in the future.

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Guest rabbit

Its rock hard, my son and I fished it a few times last season, all the BAA stillwaters alongside the Severn in the Tewkesbury don't produce much I am afraid. There is a small head of carp to about 20lb. They are rarely caught though. One evening last summer we fed a lot of mixers and for once had them competing, but the swans were being aggressive with each other and put the fish off. I have had a few stripeys on maggot in the margins, but can be patchy. However Mythe is such a nice pool, I am certainly not giving up on the carp, one of those on the bank would be a real result.

Have you fished Apperley and Uckinghall?

Guest rabbit
Hi James,

I havn't fished Mythe but have walked it a few times. I find it very hard to pass Uckingall pool on my way down from my home in Worcester. Have you ever fished this?

From my many walks around mythe I noticed that there is alot of natural food so this will make it difficult for a start. Also I don't know if you are aware of this but they lost alot of fish a few years ago through a algael bloom. I think it was mainly the larger tench and a few carp. There are a few larger carp in there as I have seen them. One particular area that got my attention was a large clear patch about 50yrds from the upstream end. I could see alot of carp passing over this.

It all depends what you are looking to catch really. If you are looking for the carp then you will have to fish very heavy(I wouldn't go any lighter than 15lb) and find the clear patches. Fish on the edges of the clear spots with everything inside a pva bag so you dont get hung up on the weed.

If you are fishing for the bream(which there are a few of) I would fish the pole/waggler/feeder(your choice) from the new match pegs. Feed half a dozen balls of fishmeal groundbait laced with small pellets and sweatcorn and try various hookbaits over it.

As for the tench you could try popping down the night before and raking a spot or two. I don't know what type if silt is in mythe but you need to find an area that doesn't contain that horrible smelling black stuff. This is one of those tactics that will either pay off or scare everything for miles. When you finish raking feed a few handfulls of bait around the spot. Don't feed lots of the same thing though as tench can get very preoccupied on one certain bait and you could have twenty tench in front of you but if they are only searching for hemp you wont catch them. When you return in the morning feed a couple more small handfulls of bait and fish over this.

I don't know if these tactics will work but they are the first things I will be trying this year, as I will be starting a campaign on there when the weather warms up.

Have you heard the rumour of the 40lb catfish that is supposed to be swimming around in there, I have heard this from a number of people.

Hope this helps, and maybe we can meet for a days fishing in the future.

Ant

I have heard about the cat there as well, never seen any sign of it reckon must be another Myth ay Mythe :)

Uckinghall has some good grass carp, got a 18lb fish first cast last season, but again it is hard...not a big head of fish, and gets hammered by the match anglers. Get there early and the carp will take a surface bait, but swans a real problem there as well.

Apperly Pools, Looks great, but again hard a few tench in the narrow swims far bank. End pool does have a good head of bream, some roach and tench, but beautiful surroundings which helps when your blanking :)

Edited by rabbit

I have heard about the cat there as well, never seen any sign of it reckon must be another Myth ay Mythe :)

Uckinghall has some good grass carp, got a 18lb fish first cast last season, but again it is hard...not a big head of fish, and gets hammered by the match anglers. Get there early and the carp will take a surface bait, but swans a real problem there as well.

Apperly Pools, Looks great, but again hard a few tench in the narrow swims far bank. End pool does have a good head of bream, some roach and tench, but beautiful surroundings which helps when your blanking :)

I will be attempting to catch my first grass carp this summer. When I was fishing for the tench last summer I saw one stick its head out and have wanted to catch one ever since. I think I may have hooked one for a while when I was dragging a waggler back in to position. It could have been a pike though, all I know is that it was at least 2 1/2 foot long.

I have managed to catch a male tench of 5lb 14oz which makes me think that there are a few better females in there somewhere. It is a very beautiful place and the BAA have done a bit of tidying up too. I tend to stay away during the weekends for the reasons you have mentioned. This is becoming a problem on all BAA waters.

Have you ever fished Stubbs pool in Evasham? Not the most beautiful pool around but there are a few monsters in there.

What did you catch the grassy on?

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Hi folks. Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the Mythe is nearly as hard as I suspected!

No, I've never fished any of the other BAA pools, sounds like I might have to give them a try though!

Any tips for the other pools :rolleyes:

Ant, yeah it would be good to meet up for a days fishing, its much more fun blanking in company!

James

Guest rabbit
I will be attempting to catch my first grass carp this summer. When I was fishing for the tench last summer I saw one stick its head out and have wanted to catch one ever since. I think I may have hooked one for a while when I was dragging a waggler back in to position. It could have been a pike though, all I know is that it was at least 2 1/2 foot long.

I have managed to catch a male tench of 5lb 14oz which makes me think that there are a few better females in there somewhere. It is a very beautiful place and the BAA have done a bit of tidying up too. I tend to stay away during the weekends for the reasons you have mentioned. This is becoming a problem on all BAA waters.

Have you ever fished Stubbs pool in Evasham? Not the most beautiful pool around but there are a few monsters in there.

What did you catch the grassy on?

Ant

Hi Ant

Re Grass Carp... Caught it on good old crust, far bank from the car park. But what with carpers leads flying at out feet and the constant swan nuisance thats all we caught. But choose your sessions carefully, ie dawn starts then should be ok. Probably need a mate to feed off the swans though :)

Along side Uckinghall,on the Severn (Ripple), the EA have produced a fishery that is a credit to them. I think it is superb, well made and safe platforms, must give it a go this coming season (BTW big barbel have been caught there)

Never fished Stubbs Pool, have heard its ok, thanks for the tip :thumbs:

Edited by rabbit

A few of us used to carp fish Mythe from around 1987 to 1997. Yes, it,s slow , it always has been, for whatever reason. :wallbash: We used to find the best time for carp was dusk or dawn, with a very occasional fish at night, it was dead the rest of the time. We picked up tench on boilies, they just didn,t seem to come out at all to float anglers.

I personally had carp to 23-12 from there, my mate had a (now dead) 29. The majority of the fish were fully scaleds or commons, I never caught an ordinary mirror there.

We just used to love fishing it beacause it was so quiet, angler wise, and nobody knew what was really in there. We loved the overgrown bottom end. Good luck if you give it a go, mate. I fancy a walk around there again myself now, and maybe even a dabble, for old times sake. :)

I can confirm there was a cat in there, not sure if it,s still there.

it,s a stoater !