bank sticks and alarms?

carpman2005

Ron Tompson also do the wireless ones as do Prologic (same maker different brand name). They're better if you fish at night and want a reciever in your bivvy as theres no wires to trip up on. Nothing wrong with the alarms that you've shown though

Guest Josh Iddon

Quite soon you will be bombarded with recomendations for 'good fishing' alarms!(in a good way that is)

Ive had alarms made by ron thompson and they are crap, im saving for a good set of 'good fishing' alarms.

Edited by Josh Iddon

Quite soon you will be bombarded with recomendations for 'good fishing' alarms!(in a good way that is)

Ive had alarms made by ron thompson and they are crap, im saving for a good set of 'good fishing' alarms.

I am not recommending any alarms. At least with the Ron Thompsons you wont have to worry about them being stolen. The Solar banksticks are a different matter though.

My Ron Thompsons lasted a little over 1 year...the remote had a loose wire ( I fixed that) but now 2 of the 4 alarms have given up the ghost.

Sorry I can't recomend them to anyone even though mine probably had a lot more "exposure" than most as I fish 4 or 5 days a week in all weathers,

Den (off to lidls in the morning :)

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest Josh Iddon
My Ron Thompsons lasted a little over 1 year...the remote had a loose wire ( I fixed that) but now 2 of the 4 alarms have given up the ghost.

Sorry I can't recomend them to anyone even though mine probably had a lot more "exposure" than most as I fish 4 or 5 days a week in all weathers,

Thats what happend to mine, there not very sensertive either, they dont pick up bites on running rigs any further out than 40 yards or so.

Well if your lasted for the number of sessions that you say , just think how many years they would last for someone fishing say once a week or more likely once a fortnight, in that senario they would probably get somewhere up to ten years out of them.

Lidls are doing two types of alarms, the standard one for £7 and a set of four wireless ones with recievers and batteries for £40

Thats what happend to mine, there not very sensertive either, they dont pick up bites on running rigs any further out than 40 yards or so.

If they were'nt picking up runs at forty yards or so then I would say its a fault with your run indication and not a fault of the alarms especially when you say they give indication at shorter range. Alarms only work when the line runs over the top of the roller, interupting the laser(infra red) light inside the alarm, so I think in your case the most likely explanation would be the line skipping over the roller rather than turning it. I would look at where you place your rod on the alarm (needs to be near a ring in order to turn the roller) and what type of indicater you use to see if it keeps enough weight on the line

Alarms only work when the line runs over the top of the roller, interupting the laser(infra red) light inside the alarm, so I think in your case the most likely explanation would be the line skipping over the roller rather than turning it. I would look at where you place your rod on the alarm (needs to be near a ring in order to turn the roller) and what type of indicater you use to see if it keeps enough weight on the line

Not quite the full truth. Some alarms of the roller type rely on revolving magnets and either reed switches or other magnetic field electronic sensing devices.

As for the placing of the visual indicator; I have always put mine onto the line between the reel and alarm\front rest, before the first ring on the rod.