Okuma reel anti-reverse repair?

WickerDave

The anti-reverse on my Okuma Epix bait feeder reel no longer works, the switch moves but nothing engages. I took the side plate off but the mechanism is not in the reel body, it must be under the rotating rotor arm beneath the spool. As yet I've not managed to unscrew the nut that secures the rotor arm with my limited spanner options. Has anyone managed to repair or get at this mechanism on the Okuma range?

Ironically the mechanism broke during a tangle when repetitively casting a feeder over a pole that a nearby angler had just got dragged in, eventually retrieved minus the offending carp :). A good turn badly rewarded :(.

Edited by WickerDave

The anti-reverse on my Okuma Epix bait feeder reel no longer works, the switch moves but nothing engages. I took the side plate off but the mechanism is not in the reel body, it must be under the rotating rotor arm beneath the spool. As yet I've not managed to unscrew the nut that secures the rotor arm with my limited spanner options. Has anyone managed to repair or get at this mechanism on the Okuma range?

Ironically the mechanism broke during a tangle when repetitively casting a feeder over a pole that a nearby angler had just got dragged in, eventually retrieved minus the offending carp :). A good turn badly rewarded :(.

hey i have that reel! okuma epix pro rite?

i think its an awsome reel u had any other problems with it?

i lost the washer to the handle but my dad made one out of an ink cartrage :lol:

crucian1995, I did a "review" on a post asking about Okuma reliability three years ago, so the reel is now six years old and I'd still stick by the original comments...

I bought the original Okuma Epix EB30 freespool reel three years ago. This is the gold/chrome coloured version and was the top of the range at the time with a RRP of £79.99 but readily available at £59.99.

Bad points:

• The gold paint on the reel body flakes off very easily (when dropped!), so the reel soon looks tatty.

• The freespool lever does not engage properly when the handle/gears are in a certain position, you have to feel for the correct click when you engage it.

• Sometimes when you get a good run in freespool mode it seems to loosen the front drag, which you quickly have to tighten up to the correct setting. On one occassion the front drag knob was completely unscrewed!

Good points:

• Still a very smooth reel to use, after much use.

• The front drag is excellent.

You must have the new black Epix Pro. I have that too, and it seems better than the original gold model, although it does still have the "Sometimes when you get a good run in freespool mode it seems to loosen the front drag, which you quickly have to tighten up to the correct setting." problem.