Sounder boxes

marmiteboy

Good post this one.

Last year I really got into overnighters and bought a load of new quality kit, I am warm and dry at night in a good five season bag (fleece liners can be removed) unzipped with a waterproof, breathable fleece lined bag cover over it on a very comfy bedchair designed for use in a brolley system (as I use a brolly system).

The kit is so comfy I have used it in the garden to test it and sleeped like a baby with the kids having to shake me in the morning to wake me (also tried it out in the conservatory in the depths of this winter with no heating on - very nice until I had to crawl out!!!!!!!).

With this in mind I bought some new top end "Good fishing" alarms and a sounder box as I thought I would need a sounder to wake me up during the night. I also belive the telephone effect (sound of alarms travelling along line into water) happens and spooks fish so I even use the sounder during the day with the alarms turned right down.

The waters I fish are mixed club waters and very few people do allnighters most of the time its me and nature, you can hear the A14 and the railway at night depending on conditions.

Being a mixed water I also get alot of action (sometimes welcome, sometimes not) from other species.

The waters are in a valley surronded by woods - full of woodland creatures including alot of deer.

You do hear some strange sounds.

Belive me with all the above in mind when doing allnighters I dont get much sleep - if I do drop off it is a very light sleep, most of the time my eyes are just closed with my mind and body resting but on full alert standby.

I have also found that the LEDS on the alarms and sounder are so bright I am surprised an inbound plane to Stanstead has not landed on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My missus recons I always look knackered after an allnighter.

On any water with other anglers - sounders are a must as the rest of the lake do not need to know you have had a take.

I also agree with the post about tones - play with them. When in night time zombie mode a high pitched load blast from a sounder is not good for the heart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially if you have managed to doze off and it always happens just after you do!

PS if you use a sounder with wires like I do - tape them togehter with some black electrical tape, every now and then put a few winds of yellow tape round the wires - this way you have only one wire to trip over if you dont spot the yellow bits - also try to position them well out of the way of your line between shelter and rods.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!