1st trip of the year ... lost fish

Yaskalos

Hi All

Well, got out for my first trip of the year on Wednesday, gentle paddle out to a local Plaice ground. Had nothing for the first 3hrs, then bang, a serious bite. I got the fish within about 2 feet of the surface, it obviously saw the Yak and didn't much care for it and did a serious dive for the bottom. I had the drag set (perhaps a little light), it disappeared back down a few feet then............nothing............slack line.........the b****** came off.

Another 2hrs and nothing, came back in cold and gutted...............can't wait to get back out there again next week.

I estimate it was at least 3-4lb!!!!

Nick

Hi All

Well, got out for my first trip of the year on Wednesday, gentle paddle out to a local Plaice ground. Had nothing for the first 3hrs, then bang, a serious bite. I got the fish within about 2 feet of the surface, it obviously saw the Yak and didn't much care for it and did a serious dive for the bottom. I had the drag set (perhaps a little light), it disappeared back down a few feet then............nothing............slack line.........the b****** came off.

Another 2hrs and nothing, came back in cold and gutted...............can't wait to get back out there again next week.

I estimate it was at least 3-4lb!!!!

Nick

You SURE its the YAK it didn't like the look of...?

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Hi Nick,

Glad to see you're back out and afloat again.

Hard luck about the plaice -never mind it'll be 2 oz heavier when you catch it next weekend. :rolleyes:

Have you ever tried for plaice at mothecombe.I seem to remember there being a mussel bed at the mouth and it's nice and local to me.

Catch up with you some time,

Jon.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Hi John

It was good to get back out again, was really gutted with losing such a decent fish.

I haven't tried Mothecombe for Plaice from the Yak but have many times from the shore (but not this year).

Have also heard that they are being caught there on the Mothecombe side from the shore (rocks below the last field before the point).

After my bad experience in the Yak there last year it has put me off fishing from there again.

We must get out again soon though.

Nick

Nick,

bloody bad luck with that plaice - were you on the bank I told you about near Cawsand? Or the Napp?

I will have to come down and pick up the two tourers soon - the only trouble is I won't have room to bring a fishing yak down with me - got 20 feet of tandem and 17'6" of solo tourer to take home on the roof - where would I put the Dorado?! UNLESS, I bring a fishing kayak down with me and leave it down until next time.

The bream will start to show up again soon too! I still haven't caught a plaice and all my hopes of getting out on the Skerries this spring seem to have been dashed by work - Venice next weekend. Then the last weekend of the month I go North to meet up with Spanner for the Skate/spurdogs etc.....maybe there will be some plaice still around end of May?

Better luck next weeknd - I'll think of you while I am taking pictures of glorious classic motor boats off the Royal Arsenal!!

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi Simon

I was actually fishing 'White Patch', I'm sure you know it. Went there as it was my first paddle of the season and it's an easy paddle out from Mount Batten.

Never mind am planning to go again on Wednesday so if he's still there i'll av im.

Nick

You don't have to contend with the divers from Bovi anymore either, do you?!

Good luck - hope the weather holds out for you. Getting warmer by the day now.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo