Early morning bass session in Luce Bay

Snatcher

Awoke to the tune of "Local Hero" playing on my mobile at 05.30 this morning,oh well John,time to catch that bass!!! Left our van on the Clashwhannon site and after a short drive north arrived at the bass mark I fancied trying. I had tried this mark only the previous evening but all we managed were mackerel and small pollack,nevertheless I felt confident.

For bass I keep trying different methods and I have actually got rid of my "popper blinkers"!!!!!!! I will still pop though when the conditions are right.Well I rigged up my Greys 10' spinning rod with 15lb mono and a cylindrical bubble float. Although they are very handy devices I never trust their integrity and always tie in a 50lb mono link between the two ends. On an 8' mono trace I tied on a 4" "Storm" Holographic Sandeel" mounted on a 1/0 Kamasan uptide hook.

BassR2.jpg

There was not a breath of wind and I started casting out and varying the pace of the retrieve. I was getting a few tentative plucks which were probably very small pollack as I had picked up some 3/4" fish the previous night at the same spot. After about ten minutes the rod tip slammed over and I was into a fish. I was hoping it was a bass and not a mackerel. Yes it was a bass of about 2lbs and after a spirited fight and a quick photo away she sailed back to fight another day.

BassR4.jpg

I stayed at that spot for another hour but got no more takes so decided to call it a day. Just the one bass but a short enjoyable session.Watching the sun rise over Luce Bay and watching the gannets diving in for their breakfast pulls my string,the bass was just a bonus.

BassR3.jpg

Got a wee session lined up for tomorrow. The son of one of the assistants in Drummore stores has just taken up fishing. I promised Gillian I would take him out fishing and it is arranged for tomorrow. We will fish at Logan for pollack and wrasse or this Luce Bay side for bass,depends on what the weather chucks at us! May also do another bass session tonight,it depends on "the pull of the beer" LOL

BassR1.jpg

This is your roving Mull of Galloway reporter signing off - till next time

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Another fine catch snatcher! I'm sitiing here at my desk in work, pinning away, while you get in amongst the fish.

if I didn't have a night out planned for Saturday, I'd be down this weekend!!

hope to see you soon mate.

Tight lines everyone!

Hi John, well done with the bass this year. Hope to be over from 7-11Sept with the good lady. Perhaps we can get together for a spot of fishing etc B) BTW look at my post (28-08-08) re MOG report and put some pics up if you can. Hope you are still there when I arrive.

Safety habits last a lifetime.

Hi John, well done with the bass this year. Hope to be over from 7-11Sept with the good lady. Perhaps we can get together for a spot of fishing etc B) BTW look at my post (28-08-08) re MOG report and put some pics up if you can. Hope you are still there when I arrive.

plan to be here Tom :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy