your in control of g.b power

hembo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/0...calc/html/1.stm

i went nuclear and renewable

its worth checking out the links.

got me thinking

Edited by hembo

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

I'm telling you this government couldn't organise a **** up in a brewery.

The news this weekend has said the a comittee of MP's have said nuclear power stations are not the answer to our problems, and we should be more fossil fuel powered stations, despite their being a massive shortage of Gas (we are net importers now), and coal stocks are definitely not infinite (and we are probably net importers of coal aswell I'd of thought).

Now - the french are almost entirely dependent on nuclear power, to the point where they have developed nuclear reactors which are considerably more advanced and safer than the 20 odd we have in the UK. However, our government are citing they would take too long to build and be too expensive. France meanwhile have announced they are building more.

Without meaning to sounder overly retarded - how the hell have the french managed it??? Surely this is one of those things that have to be done? I was under the impression all our nuclear plants had to be closed within 10 years - surely that means we need to not only replace the 31 we have, but build another 31 to top it all up. Let's face it - environmentally the difference between 31 and 62 nuclear reactors is pretty insignificant - if one goes pop we've all had it anyway!

If you are anti-nuclear - fair enough, but a load of people near us openly objected to a set of wind turbines being built in the middle of the lincolnshire countryside - and believe it or not the idiots announced it as a victory that it wasn't given the final go ahead. The reality of it is we all need to pick a side of the fence, and if you want nuclear - fair play. If you don't then the right to objecting to alternative sources should be removed by an act of law (in other words, grant renewable energy developments preferential planning status - within reason).

Ian W

The Fench went for one design for almost all of their Nuclear stations. They know how they work inside out and they get economies of scale in operating and building them.

When Britain built its nuclear stations they changed the designs of every one during the build period so no two are the same. they all operate slightly differently and the changes were costly to incorporate at the late stages they were made in the name of "efficiency". No economies of scale and an industry run by committees.

The french let engineers build and run their power stations. Britain lets committees of politicians do it.

Nuff said

Ferox are more than Mythical. www.darkmileferox.co.uk