Software CD will not run

Lid

Please help as this is driving me mad.

I recently bought some recommended backup software called Acronis True Image v9.0. My PC has a good CD/DVD ROM and another good DVD rewriter drive and they both work fine for everything that I usually do.

However if I put this software CD into either drive firstly it does not auto run and then if I manually select they setup.exe program I get an error stating :

D:\Setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application

The CD looks perfectly clean and I tried it in two other PCs and it worked absolutely fine on both of those. In the meantime Acronis gave me a download link so I could install the software. However this is bootable CD for use in a recovery situation and anyway I want my drives to be able run all CDs as expected.

I contacted Acronis again who directed me here, but this seems unstructured and long winded. I tried some of the suggestions, including upgrading drive firmware and disabling DMA, but then I gave up as surely the problem must be more obvious than this. The two drives are different makes, yet neither will run this CD.

Interestingly I can copy the whole CD to my hard drive simply using explorer in a couple of minutes and then the setup.exe program runs fine. So why won't my drive run the setup.exe directly from the CD?

Please help me!

Edited by Lid