Thames Estuary Summer Fishing

Matt Baldwin

check out my artical on the A,N articals page, you will get a bit of an idea off what to expect...

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I think you will find a feeder rod very unwieldy for feathering.

I do not know what they use up in the Medway but we use up to 8oz of lead to take the feathers down in the strong currents and stop them from being pushed sideways in the currents and getting tangled with the person next to you's gear.

I would say a 12-20lb boat rod would be more like it.

Guest stevie cop

Matt. Don't take a 20 lb boat rod! And as for the 50lb one, grow some beans up it!

The heaviest outfit you want for fishing the Thames estuary is an uptide outfit capable of casting up to 6 ounces. Most of the time you will be fishing with 5 ounces of weight. 15 lb line is all you need. Use braid, and you start getting into the realms of 2 and 3 ounce weights and very light rods. Dave Godwin used spinning rods!

The whole escense of Thames estuary fishing is good sport on light tackle. Hook a hound in shallow water on light tackle and you'll want to keep coming back. Even Thornback give a good account of themselves on light tackle. I've had plenty peel line from my reels.

Matt, my wife landed a 14lbs smoothound on a shakespeare 50 gram uglystic litespin rod, abu 6500 loaded with 15lb braid right through to the swivel.

Obviously this was no mean feat, but what brilliant sport.

The fishing maynot be getting better, but thanks to the technology we are able to have more fun with what fish are available to be caught, many people are wary of trying new approachs to fishing butwe would still be usuing centre pin reels if no one tried anything new.

Sorry Dave I know that you know your onions but the Thames Estuary has really picked up over the last few years..

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

This is getting interesting! Is there anywhere I could bring the old dugout canoe down to and paddle for a fish without ending up on the Goodwins?!! :confused:

I like the sound of catching a smoothound on light gear - got me salivating all over the keyboard it has! :D

I must confess I don't know the Thames Estuary AT ALL - which bit does the fishing take place from? I raced at All Hallows a couple of years ago (not the Dorset one - that was where I thought I was going!) It was a greta big brown streak of water with huge waves - and it did my gearbox in. Engine revving happily, propeller not going round - and the finish line was only about another 500 yards!Gutted.

The tides were pretty strong though. I wouldn't want to be out in that - I would have to wait 6 hours and come back in with the flood like a bit of driftwood! :D

Any sheltered spots, or somewhere close in?

Cheers.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Sam i only left in August last year and finished chartering in July last year and i am in constant touch with Phil Hayes who runs the Lady Lucy from the river Crouch where i used to work from.