Anchor Trolleys

Karl K

While I've spent the last month or so waiting for my X Factor to arrive(C'mon Stuart hurry them up!) I've trawled the net looking on ideas on how to rig it. Nearly all the anchor trolleys don't seem to start right at the front of the boat, they seem to be set back by a couple of feet - Is there a reason for this e.g. you can't reach inside the hull any further or is it just easier to use an existing fitting or am I missing the point and there's a safety reason or something??

While I've spent the last month or so waiting for my X Factor to arrive(C'mon Stuart hurry them up!) I've trawled the net looking on ideas on how to rig it. Nearly all the anchor trolleys don't seem to start right at the front of the boat, they seem to be set back by a couple of feet - Is there a reason for this e.g. you can't reach inside the hull any further or is it just easier to use an existing fitting or am I missing the point and there's a safety reason or something??

To be honest mate, you really want to consider anchoring primarily at the stern. In a kayak you fish mainly (when not side-saddle) to the bow of the yak. Once the tide has set the anchor the yak will then be facing the anchor line / warp. Any fish taking your end tackle may take it over this causing no end of tangle trouble!. anchoring to the stern stops this and is a more reliable way to use a chute also.

PP :)

Firstly Welcome Karl (and PaddlePower too :) ).

I hope your new yak arrives soon and you catch many fish from her.

Re: anchor trolley

- we all rig our kayaks differently and many don't run their trolleys right up from the bow to the stern. In some cases this may be due to using existing fittings on the kayak and not wishing to drill more holes to fit the trolley system further back or the lines of the kayak make it more difficult to run it all the way.

On the Caper I didn't run my trolley all the way but have set it to run the length on the Scupper Pro. My thinking was that if you misjudge/get caught out and have to anchor in strongish tide then having the kayak positioned head on into the current will be more streamlined and perhaps safer.

Where you choose to anchor (bow or stern or anywhere in between) is often personal preference - ideally the current where you are anchoring should not be too strong to start with. I prefer to have the wind on my back which means I can stick it out longer if its cold. Turns out that more often than not I anchor from the stern.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

If you are unlucky enough to get a fish around your anchor warp and the fish is of any size, then you will quite possibly be cut off by the mono.

With a new kayak experimentation is the name of the game, have a look at the standard fittings and see if you can incorporate any of them in to your trolley system. The X-Factor is a big kayak with plenty of room for accessories, you should get a few hours time in paddling and seeing how she sits in the water before fitting out. Have a look at some of the American sites for ideas on how they have fitted out their X-Factors and then take a trip to your local chandler to see what is available.

Worth taking a look at the really small 0.75kg anchors that are now available, more than capable of holding a yak fast and also worth keeping one as a spare onboard just incase you get cut off or have to cut off yourself... it happens, when it does it can mean the end of your days fishing, so wise to carry a spare.

Take your time, enjoy the fitting out.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Cheers Lads,

Only really fished from charter boats, so you naturally only think of anchoring from the bow. Reading whats been posted makes it obvious to anchor from the stern - well 90% of the time. I've got all the rigging bits in from the States, the drill is fully charged - just need the Yak!!!

Hope to see you all out there soon.

Karl

Cheers Lads,

Only really fished from charter boats, so you naturally only think of anchoring from the bow. Reading whats been posted makes it obvious to anchor from the stern - well 90% of the time. I've got all the rigging bits in from the States, the drill is fully charged - just need the Yak!!!

Karl

Ohhh I always feel faint when mentions drilling that first hole :schmoll:

Need a lucozade ana lie down :yucky:

Ha ha, good luck mate, these lot will keep ya right, they sorted me just fine :):):notworthy:

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

Cheers Lads,

Karl

Don't be to trigger happy with the drill Karl. Get out on the yak a few times before you decide to fit it out. When you are ready give it a good dose of looking at before going for it then give it some more, there's no rush. You will be amazed at how little you need to do to get fishing. The guy's on here are always happy to help with any technical questions and they will see you right (they did for me).

As far as your anchor position think about when your in a boat, you tend to fish downtide away from the anchor, even when uptiding your physical position is still at the back of the boat.

Oh! and welcome aboard, happy yaking and tight lines.

GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I