House guest !

Clifftop

This little Gheko has taken up residence in the kitchen, they used to be know as house Ghekos as in the old stone houses like this they used to help keep insect pests down

newpics005.jpg

size is about 1 1/2 long and when startled they straighten all 4 legs and hiss at you

they grow to about 4 to 5 inches and are nocturnal, i had to put it in a dish to take the pics because they run pretty fast, it is living behind/under the fridge and i only see it in the morning when i switch on the light

newpics002.jpg

Edited by Clifftop

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

When I lived in Cairns, gekkos could be seen at the top of the walls in most rooms, blending in almost perfectly with the wall, except for the black eyes that were a bit of a give away.

Skinks would sunbathe on the posts that held the house above ground, easily caught in the morning before they had heated up enough to dart away, though they did have the habit of dropping of their tails, left wriggling to distract more sinister predators.

Once caught,and turned upside down on my hand, gently stroking their belly had them stretched out and immobile, eyes closed, as though in some kind of ecstasy.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust