Paddle trousers

Tpw

Neil,

I wear seal skinz inside neoprene dry socks and wading boots when its cold... and just one layer when its warmer. The latex ankle seal on my Palm Extreme Bib seal reasonably well around the neoprene but it does wick up after a few minutes in the water, so I don't sit side saddle. My feet tend to get damp inside the neoprent though, partly wicking and partly sweat, so thatas why the seal skinz as well. If I wear just the seal skinz they wick much faster than the neoprene, being a coaser material, so they really only work for a very quick splash.

Ideally I would have bought the newer version from Palm with the full sock... but they didn't make it at the time and I can't afford another pair.

Hmmm.... just had a thought, I could try my waders under my Palm trews and cag....they have neoprene boots. I have worn my waders and while it keeps my feet dry I am always worried about them filling if my cag seal leaks. That would make re-entry a bit difficult. Wearing them under the bib gives another layer of 'seal' as they have a neoprene chest.

I'll try it next time I'm out and the waters warm enough.....

Glad I haven't got big feet, would need Big Jobe's :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Also, you have to think about your Metatarsi (topical!). Most neoprene and latex boots/shoes have very poor protection for the arch to the foot and for the type of rocky, stoney terrain that I seem to encounter (with other yakkers and anglers) you want to be able to put something on your feet that is sturdy enough to protect this vulnerable area. I now use Seal Skinz socks and Teva kayak shoes after I slipped and then stepped onto a ridge of rock whilst wearing waders with wellie bottoms and damaged this area of my foot; the swelling did not fully dissappear for some 5 months.

Having the latex seal repaired gives you the opportunity to wear sturdy footwear which in some of the conditions that we encounter on shore is a must.

Moonyaker

Ditto that. It does appear keeping the feet dry/warm/protected is the biggest problem I've encountered, so far. Not a really problem now it's summer, as I just wear beach sandals, but I think I'll want to improve on my initial solution, which was a pair of w/proof Aquatherm wading socks(www.chillcheater.com) and neoprene dive boots. The wading socks, even in XL, are a tight fit for my size 11 bare feet, which means I can't wear my thermal socks under them. They do keep my feet relatively dry, apart from the usual sweaty dampness, but the effect combined with the non-w/proof dive boots feels exactly like cold/wet feet. I'm always astonished to find how dry my feet are when I pull the socks off at the end of the day. Also the dive boots are crap on stoney ground and not much better than bare feet.

nice name .....

I make you right. When i bought them from the Dive Show they were called All Terrain Boots, which i thought was pretty cool :P .I only found out today when looking for the link that i have been wearing Jobe :( . Just wait i reckon Jobe is going to be the next Adidas :)

Hi Tom,

I have a pair of the Nookie Extreme dry pants (also have the top) and am very pleased with them. I wear Polartec tracksuit bottoms underneath them, which keep me warm and stops them getting clammy from perspiration.

From a safety point of view it is widely recommended that you dress for immersion rather than whether the sun is shining. Drysuits/tops & pants are only really effective in the water if you use thermal layers under them.

Pat. Pending

Some good points raised there. I think I am going to order a pair of Jobe boots :wacko: tonight.

What kind of neoprene socks do you use Paul?

I have a pair of sealskinz but never thought of the neoprene ones for sealing against the latex of my breeks.

Does the new Palm Extreme kit have latex feet? Might just bullet my old trousers on e-bay and go for those.

Mmmm, decisions, decisions..... :wallbash:

Neil.

Neil,

Palm Sidewinder Combi Bib £179.95. They are not on the Palm website but quite a few suppliers are listing them. Cordura feet but they are sealed. They look like th edogs doodahs and also have a relief zip.... yes please.

http://www.desperate-measures.co.uk/product.aspx?prodid=792

I really fancy a pair but at £180 quid I think I'll save my pennies and go for a full Sidewinder Drysuit.

The neoprene socks I use are cheapo Ron Thomson ones with a lining, and the wading boots are their Scierra ones that I got with the waders.

Edited by spanner

Neil,

Palm Sidewinder Combi Bib £179.95. They are not on the Palm website but quite a few suppliers are listing them. Cordura feet but they are sealed. They look like th edogs doodahs and also have a relief zip.... yes please.

http://www.desperate-measures.co.uk/product.aspx?prodid=792

I really fancy a pair but at £180 quid I think I'll save my pennies and go for a full Sidewinder Drysuit.

The neoprene socks I use are cheapo Ron Thomson ones with a lining, and the wading boots are their Scierra ones that I got with the waders.

Cheers for that Paul, I will pass on the full dry suit at the moment,, :blink: , just had a look at the price! my brother has a Helly Hanson offshore full dry suit and it looks the dogs doodahs as well. Might go for those Sidewinder Combi Bibs though.

I will give Desperate measures a bell tomorrow, I have bought from them before and had a good service, notice they have cheap neoprene socks as well.

With all this waterproof clothing talk you would think it was winter, :g: , well I supose from today the days are getting shorter...

Neil.