Poppers

ef duck

Yes, buy the preformed heads from Sportfish or the like, you can get them in a range of sizes and Colours and they are easily painted with acrylics.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Thanks for that Tony. I've had a look but I was actually thinking a bit more DIY - shaped cork or high density foam. Has anyone made truly DIY poppers?

Robin

Hi Robin, I use poppers tied from "booby cord" or similar for Sea Trout (at night) - they are very easy to tie, just a quick body of cactus chenille/fritz or similar, and tie in a length of etahfoam. Finished. In principal a popper is nothing more than a super-wake-fly, I just cant see why fisheries wouldnt allow them!!

I also use larger versions (tied with Rainey's 1" Cylindrical Foam) for Pike poppers - alternatively you can use normal foam from the craft shop and knock up gurglers - also easy and great fun.

Oh yes another thing, some of my fishing mates use orange or yellow "ear plugs" for popper bodies.

Have fun

First of all I'd like to say hello all as this is my first post here, just had to reply to this thread! I bought a popper pack a few weeks ago and have asked at 3 different fisheries if I could use them on their waters, all of whom agreed there was no problem. I have caught rainbow trout on the poppers at each of the fisheries, although they may not be as effective as the website makes out they are incredible fun, seeing the bow wave coming after your popper and the savage takes when you get them make it all worthwhile and I for one will be using them a lot more in the future! Definitely recommend them to everyone!

Oh yes another thing, some of my fishing mates use orange or yellow "ear plugs" for popper bodies.

I have some of those at home right now! Guess what I'll be doing tonight.

I also found some hi density foam in the arts and crafts box at my daughter's nursery which somehow found it's way into my bag! I think some experimentation is in order.

Thanks for all the input chaps.

Robin

I have used poppers (mainly home made as previously described) for a number of years, catching trout, pike, perch, chub and even carp after they have spawned!

Wait until the autumn and fish poppers to fry bashing trout. Home made or purchased you will have fun for sure.