new to float fishing..how do i ?

hairyscotsman

I am going to be doing a bit of mullet fishing shortly and was advised to use the smallest crystal waggler i can find. I was wondering how i rig this. Do i use a rubber ring on the top and where do i put the shot??

Please help!!!! :headhurt:

Wagglers are attached to the line by threading it through the eye at the bottom of the float only. They are locked in place by pinching split shot onto the line on either side of the eye. You should put most of the weight needed to cock the float around the float. The arrangement of the rest of it will be something a mullet angler could help you with, but on the few occasions I've fished for mullet I've used an on-the-drop rig like this

Wagglers are attached to the line by threading it through the eye at the bottom of the float only. They are locked in place by pinching split shot onto the line on either side of the eye. You should put most of the weight needed to cock the float around the float. The arrangement of the rest of it will be something a mullet angler could help you with, but on the few occasions I've fished for mullet I've used an on-the-drop rig like this

Thanks for the reply ...That helps !! I was also wondering about fishing floating crust with the float..Would you shot as normal for a floating bait or do you use another style of float??

:blink:

For general information on mullet fishing see:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Sea-Fishing-Ar...et_faq_one.html

with a few more articles at:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/author/leon-roskilly.html

The way I attach a wagger is to first tie a sliding stop-knot onto the mainline (this is a piece of line knotted around the main line that can slide up and down the main line)

Then make up a 'float adaptor' by pushing a small length of silicone tubing over a small swivel so that only one eye of the swivel is exposed.

Pass the mainline through the exposed eye of the swivel so that it can slide up and down the line until it reaches the stop knot, and push the base of your waggler into the other end of the silicone tubing.

Now tie the weaker hooklength to your mainline, and attach split-shot above the knot sufficient to cock the float so that only the insert is above the waterline.

The float and adapter can now slide up down the mainline between the shot and the stop knot, and you can adapt the depth at which the bait is presented by sliding the stop knot up and down the line.

You can also remove the float from the silicone tubing and replace it with a bigger or smaller float as conditions change, remenbering to adjust the amount of shot on the line to the bouyancy of the new float.

Or if mullet are taking off the surface, remove the shot, and present a crust of floating bread about 3 ft from the float which now lies flat on the water.

Or if you need to put a bait on the bottom, remove the float and add extra weight, or remove the silicone tubing from the swivel and use a link to attach a swimfeeder stuffed with mashed bread to the swivel to attract bottom feeding fish to your hookbait.

Or, if fishing from a pontoon, you can simply fish dangly-down midwater, without a float, watching your rod tip for bites.

As the tide goes up and down, begins to race, then slackens off, so the feeding behaviour of the mullet changes, and the ability to quickly change tackle to match the fast changing conditions can make the difference between catching or not.

At manylocations, simply fishing the same method throughout the tide simply means waiting for the conditions to match the method you are using, and reduces your chances of presenting your bait in the right way, when the odd mullet swims past, that is maybe the only fish of the day to pass close enough to take an interest in a well-presented bait .

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust