Back leading and how best to do it?

markp

having just recently got in to fishing for anything that swims :blink: {as opposed to match fishing} i have been pondering about back leading on rivers when fishing for barbel and chub, but how the hell do you use them? Whats the difference between a flying backlead and a straight forward backlead? And anything else that might be of use been looking on this site and others and cant seem to find a thing, people just assume you know what to do helpppppppppppppppppppppp lol.

Edited by markp

been looking on this site and others and cant seem to find a thing, people just assume you know what to do helpppppppppppppppppppppp lol.

Didn't look hard enough :D

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/index.php?news=259

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Ha ha ha Elton one thing still escapes me though how do you use them on rivers? the same way? or not? Especially with the angle of the rod tip {being held high e.t.c}

I personally havent ever fished with them on rivers because iv never found the need. What are your reasons for wanting to use them?. Are you trying to avoid weed and debris on your lines or stopping fish spooking on your mainline? You could probabily use a flying backlead(one that you slide on your line before attaching your rig etc and flies back up the line pinning it to the bottom once youv cast) if you were avoiding spooking fish, probabily would want to fish rods tips in the air in this circumstance to avoid debris and weed risking moving your backlead, or if you fished a normal backlead (one you clip on and slide down your line after youv cast) then id say you would fish your rod tips flat like normal.

I usually fish the river trent and only ever fish with my rod tips in the air to avoid too much line in the water because theres quite a current. Never found the need of using backleads to be honest. incidentally which river(S) do you intend on fishing?

steve.

Have to say its the same river steve i just seem to think the line is spooking the fish at the moment what with the clarity of the water so looks like flying backleads might be the answer but would they work as wellwith the rods pointed in the air? suppose another way would be to rig up with lead core or some of the esp sink tubing {why didnt i think of that earlier}

i have backleaded for barbel,

the main reason is to avoid "liners" from barbel as they feed,hovering over the rig,you dont want to strike at a liner and spook em or posssibly and a lot worse-foulhook one!

i use normal style leger wieghts trapped with two float stops either side about 3feet back from my main lead,if teh flow is really heavy a 1oz in-line lead is a better option.

when i cast out,i very slowly tighten up to teh backlead NOT the main lead,you have to feel it tighten then slacken off slightly leaving a slight bow in the line,line doesnt need to be tight,as teh lead will do its job pricking the barbel or quite simply you will get a six foot twitch :clap2:

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Yeah if your worried about spooking them just use 5 ft of leadcore should solve any problems. even with the clear water iv still not found the need though and have had reasonable success recently catching barbel up 9.15lbs.

steve.