FISH id

dale

out yesterday scrambling around the rocks fishing for pollack and wrasse.

caught a wrasse yesterday which i have never seen before.

it was the usual orange/red colour but had a VERY distinct white lateral line on both sides, it also was shedding scales which i have never seen before either.

it was about 8-10oz.

it wasn't a ballan as the shape was slightly elongated.

as we were rock hopping the kit was a minimum hence it was chucked back without a camera blinking at it.

my mate had no ideas either and he like me has been at this a while.

any ideas

thanks

Some Ballan Wrasse are known to have white latteral stripes rather than spots .. and the general colouration would match as well .... the shape of ballans also varies -- so a young juvinille could be more elongated (maybe??) ... really difficult with out a picture....

This is from andy hortons site ----

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/wrasse-sp.jpg

its green, but what if it was reddish brown you describe.. would it be close to what you saw??

This is picture taken by Andy of a young Ballan ... any help???

Phil

PS --- yes I've been busy updating the Aquarium ID site .... Holidays are here, so no lectures to prepare or marking to do ... glad you like it, but I must say that there are many here who have helped it work over the years by contributing towards it.....

Edited by Phil the Fish

that's better. the lateral line was whiter and wider but the same fish.

still don't understand why the scales were coming away in my hand as i have caught countless ballans and they never shed scales.

that's better. the lateral line was whiter and wider but the same fish.

still don't understand why the scales were coming away in my hand as i have caught countless ballans and they never shed scales.

Dale, we have had some weirdo Wrasse at Torness before, they usually spark off a bit of an argument, I posted a picture of one on NESA a few years ago and no one could ID it. I think the little blighters do a bit of swinging..... :P

Neil.