Coppermill Stream

tiddlertamer

A Londoner, 99 per cent of my fishing is done on rivers across south and south east England. Normally in the heart of the countryside.

However, the river Lea trundles southwards on its journey to the Thames, not so far from my flat.

The Coppermill stream forms part of the Lea river system.

I had a spare couple of hours this evening so wandered down to Clapton where the Coppermill stream enters the Lea near a marina.

All I found was a green soup of a water with absolutely no flow, snags galore and most of it fenced off. I assume it must be fished further north near Tottenham Hale but what I found made me turn around and trudge back to the canalised river Lea to offer up few a few sacrificial maggots there.

Is the Coppermill stream worth fishing and where is the best access? Is it day ticket or free? I've also heard it has had a cormorant problem and that the flow had changed recently causing problems. Am I best off ignoring it and heading out to the rural delights offered by rivers such as the Hampshire Avon and the Great Stour or am I missing a little gem of a river on my own doorstep?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Hi

If you do a search of the forum with the search engine, you will find a few posts about the coppermills stream i used to fish it. It was great.

Any problems in finding the posts let me know.

STC

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

It was featured recently on TV when the challenge was to catch a trout within the M25 catchment I think I am right in saying the Coppermill is a chalk stream, and in parts does hold some good fish especially chub, but they are very difficult to catch. love these sort of venues, as a boy used to fish a lot of urban waters in Bristol, and the results were very good.

Don't give up from the look of the place!! Gve it a go and please let us know how you get on......what a thread that would be!!!