Paddle upgrade?

finn17

Right, I have been out a few times in my Tarpon 140 and am very pleased with it's performance. It's only ejected me twice when beaching and I think I have that under control now.

I have realised however, that the paddle I bought with the yak is a bit like a broomhandle with a couple of lengths of floorboard nailed on each end. It was alright at first, but I think I am ready for something better.

I was thinking of buying either a Lendal Nordkapp, or Werner Cascadia, but then I discovered the Mitchell Blades website.....http://www.mitchellblades.co.uk/

Has anyone upgraded their paddle recently? Any recommendations/advice/warnings?

Cheers...

Steve

Kayak: Tarpon 140 Angler camo

Like Martin I have the Lendal Nordkapp, in glass with glass cranked 2 piece shaft, it's very light and comfortable, the blades have no flexing on the end of the paddle stroke so very efficient.

Highly recommended

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I have the Lendal Kinetic Touring. Carbon fibre shaft and resin blades nice blend of wieght but tough. great if you think you may be doing some miles. Puts the power into the stroke early but has the width to give decent manouverability without making you feel you are pushing the whole of the english channel. Look at the Lendal web site. I think anglersafloat has a link. They describe each paddle with its strengths and weaknesses. Most important is the paddle length. Suggest once you have identified the model actually go to a shop and test the length. a lot of people buy a paddle that is too long for them this leads to an inefficient stroke. The ideal length is when your natural paddling style put the whole blade in the water but no additional shaft. 216-220 suits most people but allsorts of things influence this. Width of the yak, your size and reach etc. At 5'8" and with the narrow Scupperpro I use a 216cm paddle and it gets me along quite nicely.

Choice of paddle is very important getting it wrong can not only lead poor handling and distance but actually can lead to wrist, elbow and shoulder injuries. A very unappreciated bit of kit. :thumbs:

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

think i missed this ,i have the standard paddle at the moment and do find that the blades flex as i paddle .so i would be better off upgrading to a better one . also do i need a two part one ? or will a one piece suit.

:)

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

I have a two piece cranked handle which not only allows you to split the paddle, the blades can also be removed and changed to a different type if necessary, worth considering if you want to play around with paddle shapes or may want to upgrade in the future. Uses the Padlock system which leaves all parts firmly and securely locked as if it was a one piece.

SM :)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

I have a two piece cranked handle which not only allows you to split the paddle, the blades can also be removed and changed to a different type if necessary, worth considering if you want to play around with paddle shapes or may want to upgrade in the future. Uses the Padlock system which leaves all parts firmly and securely locked as if it was a one piece.

SM :)

cheers sm worth concidering

:)

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ