Thames at Cricklade

JCB

Hi all,

new to forum.

Any members who know the thames around the cricklade area that can confirm that the fishing in cricklade is free, down to the A419 overpass?

Really having difficulty confirming one way or the other...I think it is, and then its swindon golden carp for a stretch from the overpass bridge downstream towards castle eaton?

If I'm lucky enough to find someone who can confirm, any other information as to the quality of fishing on this free stretch would be much appreciated!

Thanks in anticipation

Hi all,

new to forum.

Any members who know the thames around the cricklade area that can confirm that the fishing in cricklade is free, down to the A419 overpass?

Really having difficulty confirming one way or the other...I think it is, and then its swindon golden carp for a stretch from the overpass bridge downstream towards castle eaton?

If I'm lucky enough to find someone who can confirm, any other information as to the quality of fishing on this free stretch would be much appreciated!

Thanks in anticipation

I believe the South Cerney Club own some of the rights around Castle Eaton but am not aware of any free stretches. Your best bet might be to contact a Swindon tackle shop.

Hi All

The Thames around Cricklade is controled by two clubs. On the north bank of the river (Cirencester side) this is controled by the South Cerney club, this runs from cricklade to just passed Castle Eaton. The south side of the river (Swindon side) is controled by another club. I belive that they cover from the Cricklade overpass to about the same spot near Castle Eaton.

I'm not sure of the other clubs exact limits but you are fishing the same stretches of river. The best people to call would be Cotswold Angling or the House of Angling, they are both in Swindon. They would be able to give you a definitive answer on free stretches and who controls what.

Hope this helps.

Hi there

Looks like South Cerney AC have relinquished the river Thames and Ray to Golden Carp Upstream of the Town Bridge the first field used to be 'free'. narrow but some good chub and perch.

Downstream of the Town Bridge the first field I used to fish, i had permission from the farmer after helping with a cow calfing..(.just ran for help to the farm really) and you can guess the rest. But all down stream from there some very good chub fishing, the undercut banks hold some real beauties. The problem is access, mainly a 10 foot high wire fence that keeps itinerant anglers and other such undesirables out!!

Best speak to Dave Savage of JJ sports in Cirencester, he will help.

As I understand it, fishing is free from the underpass upstream to the slipway, and then from the Town Bridge upstream through the water meadows to the next bridge, beyond which is signed as private fishing. Certainly, I have never been challenged when fishing those areas, and there are no signs. You can't get to both banks of the river for most of that, however.

thames1.jpg

thames2.jpg

To be honest with you, the fishing isn't great. Good fun catching perch, chub and jack pike on spinners, and a few swims you can trot, but not much of any size to be caught. Last few times I've fished it have been with the fly rod, which injects a bit of fun into catching small chub and dace! You'd be better picking up a South Cerney card and fishing downstream of the Golden Carp section.

Whilst I agree that the fishing is better downstream, generally Steve, there are some good sized chub to be had in that area, not that easy to locate but they are there, think they might prefer a nice fat juicy lob worm as opposed to a dainty fly!! :mellow:

I've seen and caught chub up to 3lb or so (the largest on a spinner, actually!), but I've not seen any really big chub in that section and a typical fish is more like 12oz-1lb. Worm or breadflake are definitely more effective, catching them on fly is just my latest folly. ;)

I just think there is much better chub fishing to be had locally for the price of a club card; the South Cerney stretch of the Thames near Lechlade, or their section further downstream of Cricklade, or the Bristol Avon and Marden over towards Calne and Chippenham on the Calne AA and Bristol & Wilts cards.