Bonnie Scotland

fisherman

I am off to Loch Awe for my annual outing, this weekend, for a fortnight. I have caught some great Pike in the loch and would now like to sample the sea fishing.

What is the fishing like in Loch Etive around the Taynuilt area for a start. Any tips.

If anyone wants to meet up great :D , or go a little further afield as long as I can find it :D .

Have caught some great shark in the past so a boat trip could be fun as well. Anyone got any info for me .

Dave

[ 07. May 2005, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: fisherman ]

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

You can hire self-drive boats from Taynuilt or grab a charter boat from Oban/Dunstaffanage.

I've done a bit of shore fishing from the North Shore of Etive , but not a great deal from the South - hopefully some of the other lads will point you in the right direction ( so to speak ) :)

from another forum hope this helps

Posted - 06 May 2005 : 16:18:08

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i left this post on ukfishng info hope it helps

Firstly go as expesive as you can on the boat ians biggest is £80 but worthwhile as it gives loads of extra room, especially if you have 7 rods out as we did. All the above advice sounds right , there is a tide that runs heavily so 8oz is a good weight to use , we have used rubby dubby but it didnt seem to make much difference. Hokies are vey good especially the one with bbobys on them but you may have to cut down on the hook size as the ones i have seen are pretty massive, they are on 60lb mono so they are tough enough. I have no braid but the bites show up fine on 18lb mono as for bait mackeral is best with herring being up there too. we were using lamprey cut into 8" lenghs on a pennel that was taking the bigger spurs as doggies were a bit of a pain on the smaller baits. there was not nearly as many spurs about as normal this time might be to do with spawning etc, but there was loads of whiting and a nice 2lb cod. both chris and i have hooked into something very big in etive in the past only to be snapped off or in chrises case a hook straightened. this was no a snag as snags dont take line. as for locations you wont be using the anchor i dont t hink there is enough rope tie up to a bhoy intead. as you leave the pier head up right and tie up to the first reddy/pink bhoy this is the only spot we caught any fish on wed. it is just opposite the fifh farm building on the shorte. I would say to stick it ou where ever you choose to fish ,if you are catching sit tight as we have spent too much time bombing about looking for new spots that havent produced. . as for rigs running ledger for whole joeys or smal herring and hokis for the rest we used 6 lamprey and 8 mackeral on an 8hr trip between three.

hope this helps yo

You can fish the pier at Invararay, on Loch Fyne.

I attempted to catch the mullet that swim around there. Although I didn't catch any mullet, I had great fun hooking small coalies on light tackle, using bread as bait, and lost a couple of larger fish.

When the coalies took the bread, the float would dive out of view into the depths, to be followed by the rod tip!

I soon had other anglers borrowing my bread bait!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Cheers for the info so far guys. Looks like a good trip in the making.

Long drive first though all the way from the Isle of Wight. . So I hope to catch something for my efforts. :)

Dave

That's some trek! - are you breaking up the journey ?

If you plan to try some shore marks around Etive then I would recommend a stiffish beachcaster with 18-20lb line. Frozen baits work well such as mackerel and squid for most species.

There should be dogfish, grey gurnard, whiting, thornback ray - worm baits can take codling and pollack. There is a boat slip at Taynuilt which can be fished from - on the opposite ( North ) shore there are numerous marks around Bonawe quarry which are productive - bigger Spurdog can be caught into darkness , even from the shallow beach marks.

KennyC:

That's some trek! - are you breaking up the journey ?

Cheers Kenny, I am doing it in one hit, stopping around Lomond (Liss) for lunch. Just want to get where ever I am going to once I start,Should be able to do it between 8.5 to 9.5 hours.

At Bonawe quarry, is that where there is that derelict house that used to be the old managers house to the quarry ??

Dave

[ 08. May 2005, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: fisherman ]

Hmmm not sure about that house - is that near Taynuilt - I think there was once a quarry on the south shore many, many years ago?

The Bonawe quarry is across the Connel bridge - taking the first right after the bridge follow the road until you come to the quarry itself.

It's a working quarry so I don't know if you are allowed in during working hours. I have only fished around there at weekends or bank holidays.

Hope you get up the M6 ok - it's a breeze after the Blackpool turnoff ( M55 ) :)

The house is definately on the north side, had to do the touristy thing last year with the FPO and remember going over the Connel bridge to get there. It was right at the end of a long, windy, quite narrow road, there was a small village with the local (infants) school on the left, the quarry looked as if it was round to the left of the old house.

Dave