SFSA / SACN / Scottish Exec - Economic Survey

seaside

The starting point of our discussion was the scale and importance of sea angling in Scotland. We agreed that much else flows from that issue. We were very interested in the figures which you put on the table. As you yourself said, these were, in the absence of any firmer data, built up from a range of different sources.

Whilst the estimates are valuable in their own right, they could usefully be supplemented by a more systematic analysis. We proposed that we should commission a study into the economic impact of the sector in Scotland.

Whilst this is something which we would expect the Executive to commission (and finance), we are very keen that we draw on your expertise in drawing up the terms of reference and guiding the study. We hope to be able to let you see within the next week or two a draft of the terms of reference and look forward to working with you to ensure that we produce robust, credible results.

The data you have already provided will be a useful initial input and I have forwarded them to our economic advisers and to Chris Dodds who will be the first point of contact on this. If we are to do the matter justice, then the study may take some time. (We may, for example, decide to conduct it in two phases, with an initial scoping). Nevertheless, we consider it important that we press on now with putting the work in hand.

We all 'feel' that RSA contributes strongly to the Scottish economy but no-one truly knows to what extent. This survey should provide the necessary information to help ensure we get the levels of representation and investment we deserve.

OK, to ensure we give the best feedback, I'm looking for volunteers to help ensure the objectives in para 3 above are met - to join in please email or pm me.