Feeding for carp

martinchick

I've recently caught a number of carp using a float and would quite like to try catching them using the more common method too (bite alarm, ledger rigs etc.) I tried this set up a number of years ago to little success and packed it in to concentrate on float fishing but feel a bit more confident in my skills now and thought it would be cool to have another rod out whilst i float fished.

On the lake I fish there is an island about 50m out where a lot of carp surface and jump and I would like to cast into this area. What would people advise as being the best method for introducing loose feed into the area? I was thinking of using hemp as it seems to be a good bait for carp on the lake even though I havn't seen anyone else using it. Is it possible to catapult hemp that distance without it scattering everywhere? Also is it possible to put it in a PVA bag? Finally how much feed do you think I should use? I see all these guys carrying huge buckets of feed but I always followed the idea of little and often and could never use that quantity of feed. I would just be fishing over the day as you have to be a member to nightfish and a day of staring at a float is tiring enough as it is!

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

Martin

It's not possible to loose feed with hemp at that distance. You could try using a method feeder with hemp incorporated into the method mix.

http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/carp/method.htm

I assume you've got a more powerful rod than your float rod to use - you'll need a heavy feeder or light carp rod to handle a method feeder if you're going to lob even a smallish one 50 metres.

I don't know much about pva, so perhaps someone else can comment on that one!

It's not possible to loose feed with hemp at that distance. You could try using a method feeder with hemp incorporated into the method mix.

I assume you've got a more powerful rod than your float rod to use - you'll need a heavy feeder or light carp rod to handle a method feeder if you're going to lob even a smallish one 50 metres.

Thanks for the suggestion but the method has been banned at this lake. I have a carp rod of 2lb test curve, that should be ok for most situations. Maybe I could use a large feeder with some ground bait to bung it. I read somewhere of someone making a large one out of a drain pipe or something and using it to fish for specimen tench.

you can use solid pva bags or mesh ones. mesh is what i prefer but solid ones are good too. with mesh you can make them as big or small as you like. a good mix to use in them is trout pellets sweetcorn ,tuna fish in sunflower oil and some dynamite baits swim stim ground baitand some salmon oil if you can get it if not peanut oil you can get t from any decent supermaket you only need about 50 ml. mix it all up to quite a dry mix then put in your mesh bag tie it up and cast it out .......

suprised no-ones mentioned spodding, if its allowed on your water buy a gardner pocket rocket, your carp rod should be adequate and that way you should be able to deposit hemp and other particles as frequently as you like, quite accurately with abit of practise.

steve.

I'd recommend the small pocket rocket for a 2lb T/C rod.

A good tip if you're using a Pocket Rocket is to use quick change clips to attach your hooklink. Cast your rig to the island and clip up, retreive it then clip off your hooklink and lead and attach the pocket rocket to the quick change clip. Once you've finished spodding put the lead and hooklink back on and cast to your clip, your rig should then land in the middle of your baited area!

Good luck!

I'd recommend the small pocket rocket for a 2lb T/C rod.

A good tip if you're using a Pocket Rocket is to use quick change clips to attach your hooklink. Cast your rig to the island and clip up, retreive it then clip off your hooklink and lead and attach the pocket rocket to the quick change clip. Once you've finished spodding put the lead and hooklink back on and cast to your clip, your rig should then land in the middle of your baited area!

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies. Some helpful stuff here. I might try spodding but I think I should practise my casting first. I'll let you all know how I get on. Cheers

Hi Martin,

You may find a few tips here: http://www.askanglers.co.uk/index.php?news=250

Spodding is quite easy with a little practice and is a great way of applying feedbait at any distance.

J

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!