The right Approach

Marginmaster

Folks,

Here's the second dilema that I would appreciate some help on. Fifteen years ago I fished (only once) a gorgeous little lake, about 2 acres surrounded by trees, duckboarding on one side big enough to take bivvies and a good stock of really pretty fish mostly mid doubles with a sprinkling of 20's. behind the Main lake was a small, but deep, stock pond, stuffed with what looked like the offspring from the main lake. Now for some reason the farmer stopped access shortly after my first trip.

The lake is till there, the fish too, (late night camo adventure !!!) the duckboards have just about disintergrated and the stock pond still contains fish.

I want to approach the farmer with a view to getting access primarily for myself, and would pay well for the priviledge as well as spending the time it would take to put the duckboarding back up and getting the place looking nice again (I enjoy that sort of thing so pleasure rather than chore). (travelling down to oxford costs a fortune in petrol anyway). I would perhaps consider a v small synidicate if the farmer was obliging.

Now the question is, what's the right approach ? I think I write a fairly clearly, so was going to start with a letter, content similar to above, but then thought the direct approach might work better, then thought suited or booted, then thought aghhh to many thoughts.

Has anyone had experience of making an approach to a land owner to try and access their water, I'd appreciate any advice ???

Stu

I’ve done a number of similar approaches in the past, which have resulted in everything from being chased down a yard by yapping dogs to getting exclusive fishing on a two hundred year old estate lake! However, there is no one way that can be guaranteed to work – it will all be down to how responsive the owner is at the time of your first contact

I’ve done it both by letter, to which you often don’t get a response, and by a direct but informal approach, and to be honest, the latter has proved much more effective over the years.

I used to look for potential waters on Ordinance Survey maps and then just set off in the car to find them each closed season and see what the situation was. My experience with farmers is that they react much better to a face to face approach, but I would keep it informal – most have an aversion to people in suits! I can say that with a good degree of confidence as most of my own family are farmers and I’ve seen what they can be like when some suited and booted gent tries it on!

Often you need to work their ego’s and if they start of on a ‘no’ the key is to keep them talking for as long as possible – even if it’s going down a negative track, as the more you talk, the more they see you are actually alright, and often they will come round to whatever it is you are asking for if the necessary concessions are adhered to and they think you are a good sort.

Money is always a good incentive, but I’d be careful about marching in with plans for a syndicate straight away (unless his/her eyes light up). Perhaps better to start off just asking for permission to fish in return for you tidying the place up a bit and repairing the odd peg – get off on the right footing and then take it from there.

I once approached a guy with an old estate lake on his land – really big posh house and all that. From the start he was adamant that nobody could fish the water; you could tell he just thought we were going to abuse the place. It was quite near to a busy A-road and I noticed that quite a bit of litter was getting blown onto the fields by the lake, so said I would be happy to spend a few weekends just picking litter up in return for a days fishing, at which point he changed his tune completely. I did a Saturday and Sunday clearing the place with my mate, after which he gave us both a hand written pass to fish the water whenever we liked – result!

My biggest tip is not to get caught on private land. If you find the place but it’s not on a road or track just ask at the nearest house and go from there. Sometimes it takes a bit of effort but you can usually find out who owns the land and where they live – the local Post Office or Newsagent is always a good bet for info.

J

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Many thanks Julian, thats really sound advice, I actually know the herdsman from the farm not far away, so I'll have a chat to him first to sound out how the farmer at home farm might react, and also try and find out why he stopped access as I guess it would be prudent to try and mitigate the possibility of the same happening again before I make the approach. I'm used to dealing with confrontation with the work that I do so understand what your saying by playing to the ego and not being afraid to keep working on him if he does get negative. I'll pluck up the courage and let you know how I get on. Again Cheers. Forums great thanks. S

Yeah,

It’s got to be worth sounding him out ‘nothing ventured, nothing gained’ and all that!

And if he’s up for it, and it’s within on hour of Leek, put my name down B)

J

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!