Experimenting with baits

newtofishing

Hey guys I'm not as new as I was when I first set up this account. I'm going fishing on Saturday on one of the smaller bits of the rivers which leads onto one of the bigger ones. I'm thinking of surface fishing with marshmallows, is this a good idea (I'm not fussed with the fish as long as there above a 1lb) I'm also thinking of ground baiting an area just under an overhanging tree where i reckon there could be some nice fish are there any good but not incredibly expensive baits (I.e household baits). Another possibility that I'm toying with is using sticky maggots in a method feeder with 3-4 maggots on a size 14-16 hook. Sorry this is a bit long.

I don't mind what I fish I catch, I'd be happy with carp, bream, tench, roach or a nice perch. I'm fishing on the river don. I've also just received some artificial maggots and I'm hoping to have some artificial earth worms and artificial sweet corn by the time that I go.

In that case I would just keep it simple, cage feed with groundbait/bread mash, sweetcorn/breadflake on the hook or trot sweetcorn/breadflake.

Surface fishing comes into its own in warmer weather IMO and not the depths of winter.

Garlic spam or normal spam coated in chilli powder is a very good winter bait for chub and barbel (don't know the river so not sure if barbel are present)

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88