pre baiting for carp

s_mac

im a new carp fisherman buthave caught many carp before, but never targeted them, going on hols in october, i will be staying right near the waters edge for a week, so can fish all hours of the day.

the hours im looking to fish is early morning and evenings. it will be a lake im fishing. im looking for some advice, on baits, rigs, and baiting up a swim. for example. would i bait up early morning for the eveing, or lunch time or an hour before, whats the best to use to bait up. what baits would you recomend, the carp are supposed to be around 20lb

i would be grateful for any info, and i will let you know how i got on when i get back. and i have a moth to practice what info you give at my local water before i go.

many thanks s_mac

woman want me, fish fear me

I'd suggest twice a day baiting so before each session if you will be fishing twice.

Depending on the weather, you may want to ease back a bit on the amounts if the water is pretty cool. Also note that you should see more results after you've done it for several days.

I spent a week (well, Mon-Fri) baiting an area heavily to get ready for a Saturday comp. Went out each morning in my boat and dumped large amounts of bait over an area. By day #3 I saw lots of carp movement in the area when I arrived and continued to see them the rest of the week.

Probably overkill for your lakes but I was putting in about 100 lbs of maize and 100 lbs of other goodies each day. Would have used triple that amount but it would have gotten too expensive since I only had a budget of $50 for the baiting and above that came out of my pocket.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Probably overkill for your lakes but I was putting in about 100 lbs of maize and 100 lbs of other goodies each day. Would have used triple that amount but it would have gotten too expensive since I only had a budget of $50 for the baiting and above that came out of my pocket.

Newt,

I have started to feed a little less, but use a lot of small particles, it seems to keep the carp busy for longer in the area. I have been adding a lot of small seeds to the maize. Well it is working so far. I fish 14 mm boilies over the top. The other rod the old tried and trusted tiger nut. I am having very good sucess this way.

Like you said the water has been very cool, but things are looking up summer is on the way, so maybe I will have to feed more as the water warms up.

Roger

I think that is a better approach if feeding a small area. I was feeding several hundred yards of shoreline (300-400 I think) in about 15-20 feet of water and only once a day so went with larger particles like maize, some smaller particles and range cubes which dissolved into the vegatation it was made from.

It worked to draw lots of fish into the area when they normally would not have been there (old river channel about 1/2 mile wide and depths to around 90 feet in the main channel).

Had I been baiting a spot for just myself or 2-3 people, I would have approached the whole thing a little differently.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President