An important lesson learned

Gone Fishin

Was fishing 'Black Leach Lodge' in Walkden, Manchester the other day. Left my rod unattended for a second while I changed pegs, when I returned I found a family of swans pecking at my float :oops: .Then they start to move away and as they did my float starts to move too. oh sh*t!!!!!!!! then a young swan, realizing something is attached to it, starts to fly across the water, which in turn causes my reel to spin like crazy. before I had time to think the line snapped. I felt such a prat, needless to say I will never leave my rod unattended again

Yibbida Yibbida Folks

Unlucky mate. First rule of fishing never leave your line in the water when you leave your peg.

On a cautionary note if you have more than one rod set up never leave the one you aren't using baited up. I did once, left 2 maggots on my feeder rod and leant it against a bush next to my peg. An inquizative robin tried to take the bait and swallowed the hook. I had to cut the line as near to the hook as I could and it flew away. I hope it managed to throw the hook (it was barbless and either a twenty or a twenty two). Needless to say I've never done that again.

:headhurt:

I shouldn't worry too much. Myself and many others have caught numerous turns & moorhens whist carp fishing on the surface with bread. The *** birds are quick, and before you have time to react they've done a number on you. Result is that an embarrased angler has to reel in a bird and unhook it in front of a whole lake of onlooking anglers. Not a pleasant experience ...

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

I know exactly how annoying it is. Float fishing in water about 4 foot deep the entire bird population of th lake decided to come along and gorge themselves on the hemp I had laid down all morning. Some of the ducks even dove down to pick it up. Then before I can do anything the float's gone under and a duck it taking my line with it. Had to try and catch the duck after the line snapped. Didn't catch it but it looked ok. Totally killed my swim and didn't catch anything after that. The next weekend I fished a few pegs down and found my float, line, hook and all the shot just sitting on the platform. Was very weird.

Had that myself, laid a big bait of hemp fairly close in hoping to tempt some of the bigger tench on to my lovely red maggots, only to have a swan family move in and "hoover" the swim.

It's a pain, but it is their home after all, we're only visiting.

Gone Fishin, you're right, it's an important lesson learned - never leave a baited rod unattended. We all learn the hard way :)

Our chief weapon is surprise

funniest thing happened to me a few weeks ago.

went to fish a venue for the first time. as i got there, the baliff pounced on me, saying im the baliff, he was feeder fishing on a peg. he said to me i would save your money, the fish have gone off, it does not matter how good a fisherman you are you wont catch here today now.

i paid my money, set up my waggler. and got into roach and perch straight away. i had about 10 to his nothing, at which point he decided to change pegs away from me in the trees.

i carried on catching and had around 40 perch and roach.

then i heard all hell break loose as he towed in a duck, and heard him shout f****ing ducks.

it made my day, lol. but i later became friends with him as i visited the venue more

woman want me, fish fear me